Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "YOU, JERRY (SBCSI)" <jy...@sbc.com> on 2003/01/15 18:04:54 UTC

concern about Apache + mod_jk + Tomcat cluster

Hi,
I installed the Apache1.3.27, mod_jk1.2.1 and Tomcat4.1.18 recently on our
Solaris6 machine. The approach is that let 1 apache as web server dispatches
requestes to the 3 tomcat server instances. There is no error in the
configuration,
and install. But when I was load-testing the application, I noticed that
there were
lots of error message shown in the mod_jk file, although all the requests
were
dispatched to the tomcat servers and responded with 200.

I then changed the 3 tomcat servers' configure as following:
               acceptCount="10" debug="1"/>
So now every Tomcat can only accept 1 request at the same time.
I then sent 3 concurrent requests to the cluster: tomcat21, tomcat22,
tomcat23.
>From the debug/log file, I think the mod_jk and tomcats are working like :
1, 3 requests reaches mod_jk, mod_jk sends requests to tomcat21
2, tomcat21 accepts the first one and rejects the other 2,
3, mod_jk logs errors in mod_jk.log, reports the tomcat is down or network
problem.
4, mod_jk then sends the 2 to tomcat22
5, tomcat22 accepts 1 and rejects the other.
6, mod_jk again logs errors.
7. mod_jk sends the alst one to tomcat23,
8, tomcat 23 accepts it.

I think there is nothing wrong with this procedure, but besides the annoying
error messages,
the whole performance is poor due to the time spent in the probes. I also
suspect that
the socket connection in Solaris6 is too slow, for some reason.

I have questions for those who have the tomcat cluster in there production
site:
how about the performance in your site? Is there anything wrong with my
configuration or should
I use JK2 to improve performance?

The configuration files and log files are attached with this email.

OS: Solaris 6
Apache1.3.27, Tomcat 4.1.18, mod_jk1.2.1( I can not find the binary mod_jk
at the apache.org site
under solaris6 directory, so, I download the one in Solaris8 dir).

Thanks,

Jerry You <<tomcat_23_catalina.log>>  <<the_change_to_httpd.conf>>
<<workers.properties>>  <<change_to_tomcat21_server.xml>>
<<tomcat_21_catalina.log>>  <<tomact_22_catalina.log>>

Re: concern about Apache + mod_jk + Tomcat cluster

Posted by Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com>.
Can you post the workers.properties file? I use equal lblweight (I think
that is the name of the property) set to 100 for the 4 Tomcat instances.

I have a nearly identical setup: twp Apache 1.3.27 server running on
Redhat 7.3 load balancing across 4.0.6 Tomcat instances running on two
Solaris 8 servers. We have no performance issues and I am using the
default Processor settings in server.xml. We go through roughly 1
million hits a month.

HTH,

Ben Ricker

Ben Ricker <br...@wellinx.com>
Wellinx.com

Re: concern about Apache + mod_jk + Tomcat cluster

Posted by Julian Löffelhardt <ju...@austria.fm>.
Hi,

Make sure you have set the MaxProcessors property of the AJP13 Connector  in
server.xml to an equal or higher value as specified in MaxClients of the
httpd.conf.

llap,
julian