Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by ni...@orange.com on 2013/07/10 12:11:56 UTC

HA for VMWare

Hi,
We are testing CS 4.1.0 with VMWare vSphere 5.0.
If we stop a VM using vCenter, CS doesn't try to restart it. In logs we
see :

Skip HA for VMware VM i-xxxxxx

In source code, we can see :

@Override
    public void scheduleRestartForVmsOnHost(final HostVO host, boolean
investigate) {

 [...]

 if(host.getHypervisorType() == HypervisorType.VMware) {
            s_logger.info("Don't restart for VMs on host " +
host.getId() + " as the host is VMware host");
            return;
        }

 [...]

}

So, CS does not care to restart the VM ?
Regards.

--
Nicolas Lamirault

Thank you.

Re: HA for VMWare

Posted by Kirk Kosinski <ki...@gmail.com>.
Unmanaging a cluster can sometimes help fix problems like a host being
"stuck" in Disconnected or Alert state.  However, the main use is for
performing cluster maintenance.  CloudStack won't do anything with an
unmanaged cluster, including deploying VMs.  Also, when a cluster is
re-managed, CloudStack will re-sync the VM locations so nothing bad will
happen to VMs moved during maintenance.

Normally VMs being moved by hypervisor management tools is not a problem
with vSphere clusters, but it is not safe with XS and KVM clusters.
Before unmanage, you needed to setup iptables or firewall rules to block
communication between the management servers and hypervisor hosts during
maintenance, and before reestablishing communications you needed to
either move all VMs back to their original host or manually update the
database with the correct host.

Best regards,
Kirk

Re: HA for VMWare