Posted to dev@lens.apache.org by Ajay Yadav <aj...@inmobi.com> on 2016/01/24 19:50:48 UTC

[DISCUSS] Moving to Github pull Request model

Hello everyone,

On popular demand Apache provided integration with github pull requests and
several Apache projects (the cool kids on the block like SPARK, Kafka,
Flink etc.) have moved to github's pull request model instead of the patch
and reviewboard approach and more are moving towards that approach (Apache
Falcon etc.).  Some of the advantages of this approach are as follows

   1. *Familiarity* *-* Due to the popularity of github in open source
   projects lot more users are familiar with the pull request model than
   the patch/ review board based approach.
   2. *Ease - *Users don't have to create a review board request and at the
   same time attach the patch to JIRA also. Although lens has some automation,
   it still requires learning a new tool for contributors.
   3. *Conflicts and Test Status - *Users get a real time visibility in
   whether their request can be merged cleanly and the status of tests if
   their changes are applied.

Should we also move to pull request model?

This will require some preparation work to be done beforehand for example
pre commit builds on pull requests will need to be configured. I happen to
have some experience in this process (I recently did this for Apache
Falcon) and if everyone agrees to move to this new model then I can
volunteer for it.

Cheers
Ajay Yadava

receipt.

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to Github pull Request model

Posted by Raju Bairishetti <ra...@apache.org>.
+0 from my side.

I agree moving to github PR is a good idea but I see few minor issues with
github pull req model.

Review comments will be automatically closed if any change happens to
reviewed line irrespective of whether developer fixed review comment fully
or not.  If pull/review request has lots of review comments then it is very
hard to track it via github pull request model. It is very easy to view all
review comments(open & closed) with drop down.

User will loose freedom of frequent uploads to his own github account(lots
of small commits(i.e. half complete tasks) to save his work) after raising
a pull request because every push to his own github account will be
reflected immediately on pull request. I feel reviewer will also not be
sure most of the times when the modified pull req can be reviewed until
develop confirms.

--

------
Thanks,

Re: [DISCUSS] Moving to Github pull Request model

Posted by "Deepak Kumar Barr (Tech_BLR)" <de...@flipkart.com>.
+1. It would be a good move.