Posted to dev@excalibur.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org> on 2005/01/14 17:55:17 UTC

Which JVM compatibility do we want to force for our stuff?

I am going to set the proper information for the maven properties to
ensure that when someone compiles the code it will
produce class files for the proper version compatibility.  I want to
release Fortress 1.2 ASAP, esp. since I need it for a
demo I am finishing for the end of next week.

I am working with specially compiled JAR files, but I'd like to put
together the distributables soon.  That way I can make
a point release for GUIApp as well.

I'm going to set it for Java 1.4 in the property files, if that's OK, no
action necessary.  If not, we just need to change the
version numbers in the property files.

Re: Which JVM compatibility do we want to force for our stuff?

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Berin,
    Thanks for the work.   Is there anything preventing a JDK 1.3
requirement.  I still have
one customer that has to run 1.3.x  They run on a Solaris machine with
lots of legacy code
which prevents them from upgrading the OS with the patches to require
the newer JVMs.
For everything else, I have long since used 1.4.  But unless it is
really necessary, a 1.3
requirement would be nice to maintain for now.

Cheers,
Leif

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@d-haven.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:

>On 14-01-2005 17:55, "Berin Loritsch" <bl...@d-haven.org> wrote:
>

>>I am going to set the proper information for the maven properties to
>>ensure that when someone compiles the code it will
>>produce class files for the proper version compatibility.  I want to
>>release Fortress 1.2 ASAP, esp. since I need it for a
>>demo I am finishing for the end of next week.
>>

>I think just about all of Excalibur is 1.3-compatible. IIRC we set that as
>the target for excalibur before it moved to a separate TLP, and we set 1.2
>as the target for framework and logkit. With of course the note that you
>can't compile framework and logkit without 1.4 as they reference the jdk
>logging stuff.

Ok, we just need to change the maven.compile.source and
maven.compile.target properties I set
in all the project.properties file.  That way they will produce
compatible code even if the compiler
is for Java 5.

>It would sure be nice for some people if you could build some official
>distros. Note you'll probably want a release of all of fortress its deps as
>well since many things changed based on improvements to logkit (IIRC). I.e.
>It probably needs to be a full stack release. Fortunately, the release
>process should be just about completely automated now.

Good news.

>I guess beta releases would be ideal, but I guess you probably don't have
>time for that.

In the mean time I am using JARs compiled directly from source code.  We
can go through the release
process as much as possible for Fortress.

Re: Which JVM compatibility do we want to force for our stuff?

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On 14-01-2005 17:55, "Berin Loritsch" <bl...@d-haven.org> wrote:
> I am going to set the proper information for the maven properties to
> ensure that when someone compiles the code it will
> produce class files for the proper version compatibility.  I want to
> release Fortress 1.2 ASAP, esp. since I need it for a
> demo I am finishing for the end of next week.

I think just about all of Excalibur is 1.3-compatible. IIRC we set that as
the target for excalibur before it moved to a separate TLP, and we set 1.2
as the target for framework and logkit. With of course the note that you
can't compile framework and logkit without 1.4 as they reference the jdk
logging stuff.

It would sure be nice for some people if you could build some official
distros. Note you'll probably want a release of all of fortress its deps as
well since many things changed based on improvements to logkit (IIRC). I.e.
It probably needs to be a full stack release. Fortunately, the release
process should be just about completely automated now.

I guess beta releases would be ideal, but I guess you probably don't have
time for that.

Cheers,

- Leo