Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Daniel Schneider <Da...@tecfa.unige.ch> on 2000/01/20 19:43:21 UTC

Apache + Tomcat + Cocoon AddHandler question

Hi Folks,

I have problems getting Apache/Tomcat/Cocoon to work together as I'd like to. Is
there any sort of documentation around besides the one in Cocoon
install and some short notice in the Tomcat CVS ?

1. Tomcat Web Server/3.1M1 (JSP 1.1; Servlet 2.2; Java 1.2.1; SunOS 5.7 sparc;)
... works perfectly well with Cocoon 1.6 (all samples including XSP).

2. I can also configure contexts that sit in the Apache Tree and have
Apache send all the requests to Tomcat.

3. NOW: isn't it possible to have Apache give just *.xml (and .jsp)
pages to Tomcat for processing by simply adding this to the tomcat.conf file:

ApJServMount default /root
AddType text/xml .xml
AddHandler jserv-servlet .xml
AddType test/jsp .jsp
AddHandler jserv-servlet .jsp

Basically I want our users be able to put xml files whereever they
want in our Apache tree without having to define specific contexts
(directories) where they must put these files. (If I define
a context at Apache root level, ALL requests are dispatched
to Tomcat (and Tomcat can see all Apache files) which is not the solution
 of course.)

Apache does something with the above configuation, because it does not
just display the xml source (I get an empty page message back)
but I can't find any real trace nowhere what happens, except:
Apache Error log:
 Thu Jan 20 01:21:33 2000] [notice] child pid 2949 exit signal Segmentation Fault (11)

I tried to be more clear in some installation notes I put on the
Web:
          http://tecfa.unige.ch/guides/xml/cocoon/install-notes-16.html

(These quick and dirty notes may be of some help to those who want to get
at least Tomcat and Cocoon working).

- thanx for any hints ! - Daniel

PS: Sorry if this should have gone to Tomcat but I am not on their
mailing list and I guess that a lot of people here want to do the same
as me.

--
Dr Daniel K.Schneider, TECFA (Educational Technologies and Learning)
Faculte de Psychologie et des Sciences de l'Education, University of Geneva,

!!!!! NOTE: WE HAVE MOVED, but our fax is still dead !!!
TECFA - FPSE - Université de Genève
40, Bd. du Pont d'Arve, 1205 Genève
Tel: 41 22 705 9377 - Fax: 41 22 705 9379 - Office#: 6359