Posted to dev@lucenenet.apache.org by Billow Gao <bi...@gmail.com> on 2007/11/05 19:36:12 UTC

Any port plan for Lucene 2.2 or Lucene 2.3?

Lucene 2.3 is much faster than older version. 3+ times speed improvement.

Is there anybody who is porting it?

Thanks

Billow

Re: Any port plan for Lucene 2.2 or Lucene 2.3?

Posted by Billow Gao <bi...@gmail.com>.
Why not try to port 2.3?
2.2 has only very few change compair with 2.1
but 2.3 is a completely different.
Check the blog: http://lucene.grantingersoll.com/

Although 2.3 is a dev version now but will be released soon.

=========
Lucene goodness

Lots of good things happening in Lucene land lately, all of which
should benefit users with faster indexing and searching capabilities.
Most notably, Lucene 2.3 (hopefully released this quarter) has some
major changes in indexing memory management and performance.  I have
personally clocked indexing using release 2.2 at about 400 rec/s
(single threaded, Mac Pro dual CPU/dual core, using the
contrib/benchmark indexing.alg) to over 2,100 records/s on 2.3-dev
(the latest trunk).  It also features easier control of the indexing
process by specifying how much memory to give it, instead of the
confusing maxBufferedDocs factor.

Other work being undertaken should speed up reopening IndexReader's.
There also are a number of smaller changes including a faster
StandardTokenizer (the tokenizer most people use) and faster term
vector access.

Of course, with that comes more testing and a greater need to make
sure the next release is rock solid and backwards compatible.   So, if
you are a Lucene user, I would encourage you to give trunk a try on
some of your non-production indexes, etc. and help us test it out.
=========

Posted by George Aroush <ge...@aroush.net>.