Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Geoffrey Young <gy...@laserlink.net> on 2001/05/10 15:52:55 UTC

more Apache::Test stuff...

hi again...

  ok, I've been working on a way to make a proper Makefile.PL that warns at
'make test' if you don't have Apache::Test installed.

  it's probably my meager understanding of ExtUtils and make, but this is
all I could find that worked:

eval {
  require Apache::TestMM;
  Apache::TestMM->import('test');
};

sub MY::test {
  package MY;
  my $inherited = shift->SUPER::test(@_);
  eval {
    require Apache::TestMM;
  };
  return <<EOF if $@;
test:
	\@\$(PERL) -e 'print "This test suite requires Apache::Test\\n";' \\
	-e 'print "available from the mod_perl 2.0 sources\\n"'
EOF
  return $inherited;
}

certainly not elegant, but this way 'make test' warns without Apache::Test
and works properly with it.  No matter how hard I tried, I wasn't able to
scope MY::test properly to get away with only one eval().  I think I'm
missing something in the big picture...

anywaym, if anyone has any better suggestions... I imagine that we are going
to have to deal with this at some point anyway and come up with an offical
snippet :)

--Geoff

Re: more Apache::Test stuff...

Posted by Doug MacEachern <do...@covalent.net>.
On Thu, 10 May 2001, Geoffrey Young wrote:

> hi again...
>
>   ok, I've been working on a way to make a proper Makefile.PL that warns at
> 'make test' if you don't have Apache::Test installed.
>
>   it's probably my meager understanding of ExtUtils and make, but this is
> all I could find that worked:
>
> eval {
>   require Apache::TestMM;
>   Apache::TestMM->import('test');
> };

skip that part.

> sub MY::test {

and change this to something like:
sub MY::test {
    return Apache::TestMM->test if eval { require Apache::TestMM };

    return <<'EOF';
test:
        @echo This test suite requires Apache::Test
        @echo available from the mod_perl 2.0 sources
EOF
}

do you have Apache::Test working against 1.xx apache/mod_perl?
i know it works against 1.3 servers, but have not tested that with
mod_perl.  if it is working, i can put a version of Apache-Test on cpan.