Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/13 16:51:31 UTC

OASIS now makes available a version of the Java APIs and Annotations JAR file in a consumable form

Folks,

This email announces the availability of a version of the OASIS Java APIs and Annotations JAR file
in a form that should be directly consumable by Tuscany.

At present, Tuscany has its own copy of the OASIS Java APIs and Annotations, contained in the
sca-api module.  This new development at OASIS should enable Tuscany to get rid of this module and
use the "official" API classes directly.

The JAR artifact is located here:

http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/sca-j/Release/org/oasis-open/sca/j/sca-caa-apis/1.1-CD04/sca-caa-apis-1.1-CD04.jar

This is laid out in a way that can be consumed by Maven.

Here is an example of a Maven dependency for this JAR:

         <!-- This is the SCA API bundle: published by OASIS -->
         <dependency>
             <groupId>org.oasis-open.sca.j</groupId>
             <artifactId>sca-caa-apis</artifactId>
             <version>1.1-CD04</version>
         </dependency>

And here is an example of creating a reference to the OASIS repository:

        <!-- Material for the OASIS SVN repo -->
        <repository>
           <id>oasis.svn</id>
           <url>http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/sca-j/Release/</url>
            <releases>
                <enabled>true</enabled>
            </releases>
            <snapshots>
                <enabled>true</enabled>
            </snapshots>
        </repository>
        <!-- End of material for OASIS SVN repo -->

The OASIS test suites are in the process of being adapted to this new JAR and should be updated very
soon.

Yours,  Mike.

Re: OASIS now makes available a version of the Java APIs and Annotations JAR file in a consumable form

Posted by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com>.
That's good. It would be even better if you guys publish it to the central maven repo :-).

Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond Feng
rfeng@apache.org
Apache Tuscany PMC member and committer: tuscany.apache.org
Co-author of Tuscany SCA In Action book: www.tuscanyinaction.com
Personal Web Site: www.enjoyjava.com

Posted by Simon Laws <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Mike Edwards
<mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> This email announces the availability of a version of the OASIS Java APIs
> and Annotations JAR file in a form that should be directly consumable by
> Tuscany.
>
> At present, Tuscany has its own copy of the OASIS Java APIs and Annotations,
> contained in the sca-api module.  This new development at OASIS should
> enable Tuscany to get rid of this module and use the "official" API classes
> directly.
>
> The JAR artifact is located here:
>
> http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/sca-j/Release/org/oasis-open/sca/j/sca-caa-apis/1.1-CD04/sca-caa-apis-1.1-CD04.jar
>
> This is laid out in a way that can be consumed by Maven.
>
> Here is an example of a Maven dependency for this JAR:
>
>        <!-- This is the SCA API bundle: published by OASIS -->
>        <dependency>
>            <groupId>org.oasis-open.sca.j</groupId>
>            <artifactId>sca-caa-apis</artifactId>
>            <version>1.1-CD04</version>
>        </dependency>
>

> And here is an example of creating a reference to the OASIS repository:
>

>       <!-- Material for the OASIS SVN repo -->
>       <repository>
>          <id>oasis.svn</id>
>
>  <url>http://tools.oasis-open.org/version-control/svn/sca-j/Release/</url>
>           <releases>
>               <enabled>true</enabled>
>           </releases>
>           <snapshots>
>               <enabled>true</enabled>
>           </snapshots>
>       </repository>
>       <!-- End of material for OASIS SVN repo -->
>

> The OASIS test suites are in the process of being adapted to this new JAR
> and should be updated very soon.
>

> Yours,  Mike.

Hey, thanks for the heads up Mike.

Simon

Re: OASIS now makes available a version of the Java APIs and Annotations JAR file in a consumable form

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:26 AM, Mike Edwards
<mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ant elder wrote:
> <snip>
>>
>> Thats great, i'll go look at updating 2.x to use that.
>>
>> Echoing Raymonds comment, it would be good to get it into the central
>> repo.
>>
>> Any chance the compliance test artifacts could also get added to the repo
>> too?
>>
>>    ...ant
>>
> Ant, Raymond,
>
> You have both suggested that it would be good to publish the OASIS artifacts
> to the central Maven repo.
>
> Can you explain to me why this is desirable?  Why is the current OASIS
> location not adequate?
>
> I would also appreciate some instruction on what it will take to publish
> these artifacts into the central Maven repo, please.

It sounds like the Maven people want to make the central repo only
contain artifacts where all the dependencies are themselves contained
in the central repo. So its possible at some point it will start
making it difficult to get Tuscany releases put into the central repo
if it uses dependencies that aren't also in the central repo. That
doesn't sound imminent though so the current OASIS location _is_
adequate for now.

See these emails for some comments:

http://apache.markmail.org/message/bn47mylhmj5x2qcq
http://apache.markmail.org/message/l4qjyi6zuiexv46u
http://www.sonatype.com/people/2010/03/why-external-repos-are-being-phased-out-of-central/

I've only ever done it at Apache which uses the auto rsync mechanism
so i've not had to go through the external Maven process, all i can do
is point you to the maven guide -
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-central-repository-upload.html

   ...ant

(I'll reply separately about the test artifacts)

Re: OASIS now makes available a version of the Java APIs and Annotations JAR file in a consumable form

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
ant elder wrote:
<snip>

> Thats great, i'll go look at updating 2.x to use that.
>
> Echoing Raymonds comment, it would be good to get it into the central repo.
>
> Any chance the compliance test artifacts could also get added to the repo too?
>
>     ...ant

Ant, Raymond,

You have both suggested that it would be good to publish the OASIS artifacts to the central Maven repo.

Can you explain to me why this is desirable?  Why is the current OASIS location not adequate?

I would also appreciate some instruction on what it will take to publish these artifacts into the
central Maven repo, please.

Going further on Ant's suggestion to add the test artifacts to the Maven repo - what kind of format
would you propose for these?  The testcases are characterized by a client test runner application
which is built as a conventional JAR file, plus a large number of contributions containing the SCA
artifacts that form the core of the testcases - and each contribution is packaged as a ZIP file.
There are typically dozens of contribution ZIPs per test suite.

Is it the case that you'd like each test suite (Assembly, Java CAA, etc) to be published as a single
uber-ZIP containing both the client JAR and all the contribution ZIPs?  If that is the case, do you
have some existing build material that I could use to create such uber-ZIPs?

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.