Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/27 20:54:09 UTC

Warming queries and Solr Cloud - just curious ...

When running in SolrCloud mode, does it make sense to disable distributed
mode for warming queries? i.e. distrib=false in my warming query config

I actually asked this on Erik's informative Webinar this morning but had to
drop off before I heard the answer ... so Erik might have answered this
already ;-)

My thinking here is that a hard commit gets sent around the cluster
automatically. Say I have 36 nodes (18 leaders and 18 replicas), on hard
commit, all 36 nodes will be warming up. If my warming queries are
distributed, then all nodes are going to be sending the same query
needlessly around the cluster 36 times - seems unnecessary.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Tim

Re: Warming queries and Solr Cloud - just curious ...

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
That was a good fix Mark. I had this picture in my head of a large Solr
Cloud sending around thousands of simultaneous searches and crashing itself.

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by santoash <sa...@me.com>.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Tim:

Unfortunately, due to the increase in spam pages from bots, we had to
lock down the Solr wiki. Post a request for us to add your Wiki ID
(and give us the ID!) to the list of authorized IDs and we'll get you
added (just takes a second). Or send me (or Steve Rowe) a private
e-mail if you'd prefer.

Best
Erick

Posted by Timothy Potter <th...@gmail.com>.