Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu> on 2004/11/12 04:27:20 UTC

Purpose of Derby & Default DB

	What's the use of loading the default Derby database?  Just for
grins?  I mean, it looks like the system DB is used by the (EJB?) timer
service...  but I don't see anything using the default DB.

Thanks,
	Aaron

Re: Purpose of Derby & Default DB

Posted by si...@insession.com.
Can anyone think of any reasons why the DefaultDatasource
(default-database-plan.xml) is still needed?

John

Jeremy Boynes <jb...@gluecode.com> wrote on 12/11/2004 05:20:50 PM:

> The DefaultDB is older and predates Derby's arrival at the ASF. Services

> that needed a database backend were using it.
>
> When Derby arrived and was integrated I added it as System DB so we
> could see how it would work out without disrupting any of the existing
> services.
>
> In our environment Derby has several advantages over Axion (such as XA)
>   so I think it makes a better choice for user apps. Given that and that

> we probably only want one embedded DB I think it makes sense to
> transition gradually to Derby.
>
> --
> Jeremy
>

> Aaron Mulder wrote:
> >    Actually, that should be "Purpose of Derby & System DB".  I was
> > mixed up -- the "default DB" is the Axion one that's used, the "system
DB"

Posted by Jeremy Boynes <jb...@gluecode.com>.

Posted by Aaron Mulder <am...@alumni.princeton.edu>.