Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by an...@uk.bnpparibas.com on 2010/07/21 10:49:21 UTC

Failover and replication questions

Hello,

I am not sure what the failover functionality does in ActiveMQ. I know
that if you have machine A and machine B and machine A dies then anyone
wanting to use the service will transparantly failover to using B so there
is no loss of service. But I don't know if the data held in the queues is
replicated between A and B. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Regards,

Andrew Marlow

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and delete this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is prohibited.

Please refer to http://www.bnpparibas.co.uk/en/information/legal_information.asp?Code=ECAS-845C5H  for additional disclosures.

Re: Failover and replication questions

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
The failover transport looks after providing transparent reconnection
for the client, so it caches connection ids, sessions etc such that
they can be replayed, along with transaction related information.
This works great in the case of a single broker and a transport
disconnect for example.
It also works great with multiple brokers but the brokers need to
handle persistent message availability which is separate from the
failover: transport capability on the client side.

Brokers achieve persistent message availability using either a network
configuration or a shared data store configuration, or a combination
of both. The level of visibility of existing messages will dictate
some choices for you in this regard.
see:
http://activemq.apache.org/networks-of-brokers.html
http://activemq.apache.org/shared-file-system-master-slave.html