Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/15 16:29:14 UTC

0.1 release - code freeze

Please only only commit documentation in the next two days. No new
features, but if you find a bug this is of course still welcome.
Please discuss any change to the trunk with the community before you
hit the commit button.

Wednesday morning I'll create a 0.1 release candidate branch in the SVN.

The period between code freeze and SVN branch is usually 7-14 days, so
I'm moving rather fast here. There is however not that much action
going on in the trunk, I think we should be fine.

Hopefully there will be a candidate distribution available the same
evening for people to try out. This is however the first time I do an
Apache release so be prepared for me doing everything wrong multiple
times this week.

I want to point out that we have no feature traceback in CHANGES.TXT
and we haven't really been using the JIRA they way Hadoop does. Should
we try to figure something out or just leave it as is?

      karl

Re: 0.1 release - code freeze

Posted by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
> Hopefully there will be a candidate distribution available the same
> evening for people to try out. This is however the first time I do
> an Apache release so be prepared for me doing everything wrong
> multiple times this week.

The biggest problem right now is that we don't have a package target,
and that's not really a problem as much as it is a bit time consuming.
I'm looking at how other Lucene-projects handles stuff like example
module javadocs, et c. Should not be that difficult to come up with
something that makes sense.

      karl

Re: 0.1 release - code freeze

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Sep 15, 2008, at 10:29 AM, Karl Wettin wrote:

> Please only only commit documentation in the next two days. No new
> features, but if you find a bug this is of course still welcome.
> Please discuss any change to the trunk with the community before you
> hit the commit button.
>
> Wednesday morning I'll create a 0.1 release candidate branch in the
> SVN.
>
> The period between code freeze and SVN branch is usually 7-14 days,
> so I'm moving rather fast here. There is however not that much
> action going on in the trunk, I think we should be fine.
>
> Hopefully there will be a candidate distribution available the same
> evening for people to try out. This is however the first time I do
> an Apache release so be prepared for me doing everything wrong
> multiple times this week.
>

> I want to point out that we have no feature traceback in CHANGES.TXT
> and we haven't really been using the JIRA they way Hadoop does.
> Should we try to figure something out or just leave it as is?

Hmmm, what's the difference between us and Hadoop?  I see they have a
ChangeLog thing.  It also looks like they grabbed Lucene's CHANGES
generation stuff.  I don't recall them using a CHANGES.txt before.

I'd rather not do extra work if JIRA can do it.   Is https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?version=12312976&styleName=Html&projectId=12310751
  good enough?  There's also https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAHOUT/fixforversion/12312976