Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Anthony Urso <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/08 21:40:57 UTC

Announcing KeptCollections, distributed Java Collections for ZooKeeper

I am pleased to announce the initial release of KeptCollections, a
library of drop-in replacements for standard Java Collections that use
Apache ZooKeeper as a backing store.

KeptCollections are designed to make it easy for anyone to write
distributed applications without having to learn the intricacies of
ZooKeeper, or distributed programming in general.

The collections use the well-known JDK APIs, yet any changes made to
any of these collections by one node are seen by all other nodes
within milliseconds, allowing for easy communication between processes in a
computing cluster.

More information here:

https://github.com/anthonyu/KeptCollections/wiki

and all code is available from:

https://github.com/anthonyu/KeptCollections

Please try it out, and let me know any problems you experience via
github issues or this email address.

Cheers,
Anthony

Re: Announcing KeptCollections, distributed Java Collections for ZooKeeper

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
I filed an issue with a description and a suggested alternative.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anthony Urso <an...@cs.ucla.edu>.

Posted by Anthony Urso <an...@cs.ucla.edu>.

Posted by Gaurav Sharma <ga...@gmail.com>.
Forgot to mention that the backing implementations are here:
https://github.com/gsharma/johm/tree/master/src/main/java/redis/clients/johm/collections

and you can try our JOhm from the latest jar here:
https://github.com/downloads/xetorthio/johm/johm-0.4.0.jar

Posted by Gaurav Sharma <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gaurav Sharma <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gaurav Sharma <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gaurav Sharma <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gaurav Sharma <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anthony Urso <an...@cs.ucla.edu>.
Eric:

Posted by Anthony Urso <an...@cs.ucla.edu>.
Eric:

Posted by Anthony Urso <an...@cs.ucla.edu>.
Eric:

Posted by Eric Hauser <ew...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anthony Urso <an...@cs.ucla.edu>.

Posted by Eric Hauser <ew...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Hauser <ew...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.
Anthony this looks really nice, thanks for sending it out!

Patrick

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Rosien <ad...@rosien.net>.
Yeah, perhaps I was a bit harsh. In my own systems I specifically
create new types that hold zk-managed data structures, e.g.
ZkSynced<T>, to inform clients that the semantics are different. You
can get copies of the current value which lets clients know the value
may change at any point.

.. Adam

Posted by Adam Rosien <ad...@rosien.net>.

Posted by Adam Rosien <ad...@rosien.net>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anthony Urso <an...@cs.ucla.edu>.
Any specific fallacy or objection?  Or is this intentionally vague?

Posted by Adam Rosien <ad...@rosien.net>.

Posted by Ashwin Jayaprakash <as...@gmail.com>.
Nice!

Basic data structure abstractions are what we really need in most use cases.

Re: Announcing KeptCollections, distributed Java Collections for ZooKeeper

Posted by David Rosenstrauch <da...@darose.net>.
On 12/08/2010 03:40 PM, Anthony Urso wrote:
> I am pleased to announce the initial release of KeptCollections, a
> library of drop-in replacements for standard Java Collections that use
> Apache ZooKeeper as a backing store.
>
> KeptCollections are designed to make it easy for anyone to write
> distributed applications without having to learn the intricacies of
> ZooKeeper, or distributed programming in general.
>
> The collections use the well-known JDK APIs, yet any changes made to
> any of these collections by one node are seen by all other nodes
> within milliseconds, allowing for easy communication between processes in a
> computing cluster.

Sounds very similar in functionality to Terracotta.  (Though quite
different in implementation.)

Anyway, great work!

DR

Re: Announcing KeptCollections, distributed Java Collections for ZooKeeper

Posted by Adam Rosien <ad...@rosien.net>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Hunt <ph...@apache.org>.

Posted by Adam Rosien <ad...@rosien.net>.