Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2014/12/05 20:43:05 UTC

French Documentation Pages

I was looking around to see whether there are other page corruption problems on French-language pages.

This page <http://www.openoffice.org/fr/Documentation/Calc/>

Revealed two problems.

 1. The page serves up as English, so the language pull-down in the upper right corner is incorrect.
 2. The page serves up as Western European (ISO), when it is actually in UTF-8.  When I correct that in my browser, the characters render properly.

These are both consequences of what appear to be defaults in my browser and the lack of any details to the contrary in the page that is served up.

I am not certain how to capture this.  I could create an issue but the main problem has to do with needing to review the site page by page to see what is being served-up incorrectly, and how that comes about.

With my today-acquired wget -E --save-headers superpowers, I can confirm this about the above URL:

	HTTP/1.1 200 OK
	Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2014 19:18:23 GMT
	Server: Apache/2.4.7 (Ubuntu)
	Accept-Ranges: bytes
	Vary: Accept-Encoding
	Keep-Alive: timeout=30, max=100
	Connection: Keep-Alive
	Transfer-Encoding: chunked

## Note the lack of any character-encoding information.

	<!DOCTYPE html>

	<head>
[ ... lots of JavaScript but *no* meta information on character set or language ... ]
	</head>
  		Language:
  		<select id="selectlanguage" onchange="javascript:location.href=location.protocol+'//'+location.host+'/'+this.value;">
[ ... nice list but the selection that is presented is based on the host and not the page ?! ]
		</select>
		<script>
[ ... ]