Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Francois Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net> on 2003/08/25 15:47:13 UTC

Binary file detector got it wrong on REC_CSS1-19990111.pdf

Hi !

I just installed 0.27.0 on a machine of mine and tried adding a few files
to my WC.  Here are the results:
C:\java\references>svn add CSS
A         CSS
A  (bin)  CSS\css2.pdf
A         CSS\REC-CSS1-19990111.pdf

Notice that the REC-CSS1-19990111.pdf file did not get the (bin)
monicker.  I can correct that myself quite easily, but this is just a
heads-up.

Bye !
François
Developer of Java Gui Builder
http://jgb.sourceforge.net/

Re: Binary file detector got it wrong on REC_CSS1-19990111.pdf

Posted by Francois Beausoleil <fb...@users.sourceforge.net>.
Thanks for the tip.  I switched the svn:mime-type anyway afterwards so
that repository browsing would send the proper Content-Type to the
browser.

Thanks,
François

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:02:14 -0400, "John Peacock" <jp...@rowman.com>
said:
> Francois Beausoleil wrote:
>
> > A         CSS\REC-CSS1-19990111.pdf
> >
> > Notice that the REC-CSS1-19990111.pdf file did not get the (bin)
> > monicker.  I can correct that myself quite easily, but this is just a
> > heads-up.
>
> Just FYI, not all PDF files are necessarily binary.  If you want them to
> be
> stored as a binary, that's your business.  I have code which will create
> a PDF
> on the fly from a database application, and both the template and the
> database
> fields are text-only.
>
> If memory serves, there is a patch/suggestion in the works to set
> site-wide
> defaults for specific file extensions as to whether a file is
> automatically
> judged to be binary or text.  Search the dev archives if you are
> interested...
>
> John
>
> --
> John Peacock
> Director of Information Research and Technology
> Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group
> 4501 Forbes Boulevard
> Suite H
> Lanham, MD  20706
> 301-459-3366 x.5010
> fax 301-429-5748

Re: Binary file detector got it wrong on REC_CSS1-19990111.pdf

Posted by pa...@qint.de.
Hi Tobias,
Quoting Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>:

> mark benedetto king wrote:
> > AFATG, the PDF 1.4 file specification strongly suggests that non-text
>    =====
>    What's that?
>
> > characters be used early in the file in order to prevent them from being
> > identified as text.
>
> I thought so too, but I looked it up, and what it does is to it suggests
> that non-text characters are used early in the file for PDFs that
> *contain binary data*. There can still be non-binary PDFs.

But changing the EOL of PDFs will invalidate the offsets in XREF table. So you
should tread PDFs as binaries, even if they do not contain any non ASCII
characters.

> /Tobias

Regards,
Patrick

Re: Binary file detector got it wrong on REC_CSS1-19990111.pdf

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.

Posted by mark benedetto king <mb...@lowlatency.com>.
On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 12:02:14PM -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> Francois Beausoleil wrote:
>
> >A         CSS\REC-CSS1-19990111.pdf
> >
> >Notice that the REC-CSS1-19990111.pdf file did not get the (bin)
> >monicker.  I can correct that myself quite easily, but this is just a
> >heads-up.
>
> Just FYI, not all PDF files are necessarily binary.  If you want them to be
> stored as a binary, that's your business.  I have code which will create a
> PDF on the fly from a database application, and both the template and the
> database fields are text-only.

AFATG, the PDF 1.4 file specification strongly suggests that non-text
characters be used early in the file in order to prevent them from being
identified as text.

--ben

Re: Binary file detector got it wrong on REC_CSS1-19990111.pdf

Posted by John Peacock <jp...@rowman.com>.