Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/22 02:04:13 UTC

Re: SOLVED !! Re: Problem following TextField example

>     Browsing the forum archive I've found a clue to this issue: In web.xml
> I've changed the line <url-pattern>/wicket</url-pattern>, adding a
> <url-pattern>/</url-pattern> as another url pattern and now it doesn't give
> an error.

Can you give us your whole <url-pattern> section please? Note that it
should end in a star, like <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>.

Eelco

Re: SOLVED !! Re: Problem following TextField example

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
>     <servlet-mapping>
>         <servlet-name>WicketApplication</servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>/wicket</url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>
>     <servlet-mapping>
>         <servlet-name>WicketApplication</servlet-name>
>         <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
>     </servlet-mapping>
>
>     I'm using Netbeans 5.5.1 with the Wicket support plugin, so I didn't
> edited this file by hand but rather I added a / in the edit field in a comma
> separated list as instructed, like "/wicket,/", and the editor converted
> that to the xml tags.

Tbh, I don't see why you would need two mappings. Maybe it is
something the plugin requires, but typically one should be enough.

>     The "/wicket" part seems to be put there at the creation of the example
> Wicket project, which is handled by the support plugin. BTW I've used just
> /, not /*, but since my example was just one page, perhaps that's why it
> worked anyway. I'll change that to /*.

You need /* (or /wicket/*) to let Wicket handle things like
javascript/ css contributions and serve packaged images etc. Wicket
simply doesn't work properly if you don't put that star in.

>     I want to add... well, as you all might have noticed, I'm newbie in all
> this, in the last weeks I've been suffering all the pains of JSP, JSF, XML
> and all that nightmare.
>
>     I've found Wicket last thursday night and right now I'm rather confident
> about the things that I, with all my "newbieness" on my shoulders, can do in
> the next days.
>     Thanks for doing such great work !!!

Good, keep on struggeling and eventually you'll get there :)

Eelco

Re: SOLVED !! Re: Problem following TextField example

Posted by dtoffe <dt...@yahoo.com.ar>.

Eelco Hillenius wrote:

>>     Browsing the forum archive I've found a clue to this issue: In
>> web.xml
>> I've changed the line <url-pattern>/wicket</url-pattern>, adding a
>> <url-pattern>/</url-pattern> as another url pattern and now it doesn't
>> give
>> an error.
>
> Can you give us your whole <url-pattern> section please? Note that it
> should end in a star, like <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>.
>
> Eelco

    Sure !!  It is like this:

    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>WicketApplication</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/wicket</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>WicketApplication</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>

    I'm using Netbeans 5.5.1 with the Wicket support plugin, so I didn't
edited this file by hand but rather I added a / in the edit field in a comma
separated list as instructed, like "/wicket,/", and the editor converted
that to the xml tags.
    The "/wicket" part seems to be put there at the creation of the example
Wicket project, which is handled by the support plugin. BTW I've used just
/, not /*, but since my example was just one page, perhaps that's why it
worked anyway. I'll change that to /*.

Hope this helps,

    I want to add... well, as you all might have noticed, I'm newbie in all
this, in the last weeks I've been suffering all the pains of JSP, JSF, XML
and all that nightmare.
    I've found Wicket last thursday night and right now I'm rather confident
about the things that I, with all my "newbieness" on my shoulders, can do in
the next days.
    Thanks for doing such great work !!!

Daniel