Posted to user@mesos.apache.org by Neil Conway <ne...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/11 03:18:32 UTC

Allocator API changes

Hi everyone,

The allocator API [1] is going to change in the forthcoming 0.26
release [2]. Custom allocators will need to implement several new API
methods. Further changes to the allocator API are being contemplated
for the 0.27 release [3].

If you have built a custom allocator, please speak up! We'd like to
understand what you're using the API for, and what we can do to
minimize any disruptions that might be caused by future API changes.

Thanks!

Neil

[1] https://github.com/apache/mesos/blob/master/include/mesos/master/allocator.hpp
[2] See these commits and related work on quota support:

https://github.com/apache/mesos/commit/6b66fb712224243100065b295efb18a1cb1f7181
https://github.com/apache/mesos/commit/1538a4df3752ce177b6bc16519e1f57893ebdc09

[3] See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-4085 and related JIRAs.

Re: Allocator API changes

Posted by YongQiao Wang <ja...@gmail.com>.
For a long-term solution, our design should avoid to change the API
interface frequently, especially after Mesos reach the V1.0.

Consider above two changes in allocator interface, they are all related to
Role, so can we consider to define a role object to organize them together,
and define a unified interface (such as updateRole(Role*)) in allocator to
update quota and weight? Especially for the interface expansibility in the
future, it is quite required.  As far as I know, Grace Period of a role
will be involved by Optimistic Offer feature, then the allocator interface
will no longer be changed if we used that unified interface.