Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Ekaterina Dimitrova <e....@gmail.com> on 2022/02/06 23:48:03 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] CASSANDRA-15234

Hi everyone,

I have some good news and a bit of not that good but also not that bad.
CASSANDRA-15234 was committed last night, you will need to rebase CCM,
DTest and Trunk (if you use your own CCM and DTest branches). Push to
GitHub prior running CI should be in the order CCM -> DTest -> Trunk.
Unfortunately, we have new issues with CCM retagging (we solved different
ones but related before and things were working for some time
CASSANDRA-16688 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-16688>)
and CircleCI. After retagging CCM it seems now CircleCI doesn't pick the
new tag and if you want to use CircleCI for testing, you will need to add
-e in requirements.txt:

-e git+https://github.com/riptano/ccm.git@cassandra-test#egg=ccm

The post-commit build in Jenkins looks fine, it picked up the new CCM tag.
I already have a ticket CASSANDRA-17351
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-17351>. If anyone has any
ideas how to fix this permanently, all are welcome.

About CASSANDRA-15234, old and new yaml and format should both work.Further
to make it smoother for our users to migrate whenever they have time to the
new yaml, that gave us the chance also not to have to update the parameters
in the DTest suite but keep on exercising the old ones(one more way of
testing the backward compatibility too further to all new tests added). BUT
please, add any new tests using the new config so we can migrate in time.
You can find more details in the three primary classes Duration Spec,
DataStorageSpec and DataRateSpec (two of them are also extended, more
details in follow up tickets and posts) Backward compatibility is provided
through annotations used in Config.java. There is Converters enum to handle
different cases for backward compatibility.

Another rule is to start adding any new config with only the smallest
supported units.

I will explain and add full details in the docs I am already working on as
part of - CASSANDRA-17246
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-17246> I am planning also
on two posts - one for the users and one for us how to use the new
framework/format and what to expect.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and apologise for the CircleCI temporary
inconvenience.

Bests regards,
Ekaterina