Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Mike <mz...@gmail.com> on 2022/07/11 11:28:57 UTC

Transfer to a new server

Hello!

How can I transfer a 500 GB Solr index to a new server?

Thanks

Re: Transfer to a new server

Posted by Dave <ha...@gmail.com>.
You could put it on a hard drive and mail it.  Or just, over the internet using replication

Re: Transfer to a new server

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.
Plenty of folks rebuild multiple TB indexes in under a week. Pain mostly
comes from not having understood the need to support such an activity early
enough in the process.

Re: Transfer to a new server

Posted by Dave <ha...@gmail.com>.

Re: Transfer to a new server

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.

Re: Transfer to a new server

Posted by Mike <mz...@gmail.com>.
Hello Thomas,

Re: Transfer to a new server

Posted by Thomas Corthals <th...@klascement.net>.
Hello Mike,

Re: Transfer to a new server

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 7/11/22 05:28, Mike wrote:

> How can I transfer a 500 GB Solr index to a new server?

If it's the same Solr version, just copy the index directory to the new
server.  Ideally you will either shut Solr down during the copy, or make
VERY sure that there are no index changes happening during the copy.  An
alternate solution to that would be to shut Solr down or turn indexing
off, make a hardlink copy of the index directory, resume normal
operations, and then duplicate the hardlink copy.  Once the transfer is
done, delete the hardlink copy.  Making or deleting a hardlink copy
should happen almost instantaneously.

If the target Solr is a different version than the source, then it is
best to completely reindex, even if the existing index can be read by
the new version.

Thanks,
Shawn