Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Dung Ta Quang <du...@capcom.de> on 2003/06/25 18:26:43 UTC

CMS Some thoughts

Hi,
after playing a bit with Lenya I must say that Lenya is somewhat cool.
It includes almost everything I need and  works well. Maybe I've not
tested enough but I'm very impressed.
Nevertherless, I would like to share some concerns about CMS whit you here.
Lenya is (like other Opensource CMS out there) a full blow CMS. It is
not surprising due to its commercial background. But please allow me to
ask the questions:
What ist the most simple CMS?
To avoid patent pending answer like "depends what you want" I would like
to describe the most simple Use case (from my perspective of course):
I use a single non networked computer. I  need a CMS because I like to
reuse the content I've produced.

In this simple scenario, I dont need:
- Workflow
- Authentication
But I would need
- multichannel input (XML Editor, OpenOffice, Web Form, etc.)
- multichannel output (PDF, HTML, etc.)
- Maybe Versioning?
- Content structure descriptions (similar to SQL Database scheme).
Perhaps RDF? The concern about is to avoid lock in to a specific CMS

I would be glad to hear your comment, especially: is the scenario simple
enough or it could be more simplified?

Thanks
Taquang

Wiki (Re: CMS Some thoughts)

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
You seem to be looking for a Wiki.

What Is Wiki
http://wiki.org/wiki.cgi?WhatIsWiki

Wiki Engines
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines

A Wiki is used for Cocoon (http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp). A Wiki
Engine implemented using Cocoon also exists but I have never used it and I
do not know its status:

WikiLand
http://rossel.free.fr/projects/wikiland/

Andreas

Re: CMS Some thoughts

Posted by Dung Ta Quang <du...@capcom.de>.
Hi,
when talking about CMS people often think of website management system
with file upload, preview, publication, multiuser etc. This scenario is
IMO too complex. What I mean is a personal content management system
with the content on my local disk. Then, you can scale it up to meet
other requirements.
Alex McLintock wrote:

> At 18:26 25/06/03 +0200, you wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> after playing a bit with Lenya I must say that Lenya is somewhat
>> cool. It includes almost everything I need and  works well. Maybe
>> I've not tested enough but I'm very impressed.
>> Nevertherless, I would like to share some concerns about CMS whit you
>> here.
>> Lenya is (like other Opensource CMS out there) a full blow CMS. It is
>> not surprising due to its commercial background. But please allow me
>> to ask the questions:
>> What ist the most simple CMS?
>> To avoid patent pending answer like "depends what you want" I would
>> like to describe the most simple Use case (from my perspective of
>> course):
>> I use a single non networked computer. I  need a CMS because I like
>> to reuse the content I've produced.
>>
>> In this simple scenario, I dont need:
>> - Workflow
>

> I think it is wrong to assume you have no workflow. You always have
> some kind of workflow - but it may be so simple as to not need
> anything special. You presumably want to upload documents (or atoms of
> some kind) and preview them before going onto the live site? That is a
> simple work flow.

Yes, everithing could be defined as some form of workflow :-) But here I
would mean a personal workflow  that exsists in my head and not need to
be specified as XPDL or something like that. And as mentioned above, the
CMS dont have to be web-based.

>> - Authentication
>

> Even if the live site is public and requires no passwords presumably
> the editors and contributors do.

What I mean is a single user system with the content on my hard disk.
You just need to login once, on operating system level.

>> But I would need
>> - multichannel input (XML Editor, OpenOffice, Web Form, etc.)
>

> OpenOffice input? can anyone write a FAQ/HOW-To for that?
> I don't know if there is a working WebForm input method any more. I
> kind of like it for very simple XML.

Again, webform is not necessery.

Re: CMS Some thoughts

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@owal.co.uk>.