Posted to users@maven.apache.org by lukewpatterson <lu...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/27 00:20:27 UTC

Is the archetype creation documentation confusing to anyone else?

Which is the new way?  archetype.xml or archetype-metadata.xml ?

The "Guide to Creating Archetypes"
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-creating-archetypes.html

says to use:
"an archetype descriptor (archetype.xml in directory:
src/main/resources/META-INF/maven/)."

but then it also says:
"Note: this mini-guide has been written for archetype plugin version 1.0.x.
Archetype plugin 2.0.x is a new generation that fully supports archetypes
created for 1.0.x, and adds a _new_archetype_descriptor_: it's more fexible,
has more features, but the basis si absolutely the same."

The "_new_archetype_descriptor_ link" takes me to
http://maven.apache.org/archetype/archetype-common/archetype.html
which says: "Maven's model for the old archetype descriptor (ie for
Archetype 1.0.x). "

I hope the new one is archetype-metadata.xml, which is documented here:
http://maven.apache.org/archetype/maven-archetype-plugin/specification/archetype-metadata.html
(which has the awkward title "How metadata on an archetype is stored?", yes
it does have a question mark)

The archetype-metadata.xml has the "packaged" option, which I'd like to use
in my archetype.

Re: Is the archetype creation documentation confusing to anyone else?

Posted by Luke Patterson <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Aug 27, 2010, at 12:31 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>
wrote:
>  made bad copy/paste (and a few other english typos, as you can see).
> Thanks for the report.
>
> I fixed it, it should be available on the site in a few hours.
>
> If you find other errors int he documentation, please open Jira
> issues. It's
> even better if you can propose a patch :)

Thanks for the updates, Hervé.  It looks good.

I definitely wasn't trying to nitpick your English.  I have no room to
talk anyways, I'm just a simple monoglot (American).

I try to submit patches when I can.  It would help if that page was
more wiki-ish.  Part of the problem here was that I didn't know what
the text was supposed to be.  I wasn't sure which descriptor was
current.

Thanks,

Luke

Re: Is the archetype creation documentation confusing to anyone else?

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
true, I made bad copy/paste (and a few other english typos, as you can see).
Thanks for the report.

I fixed it, it should be available on the site in a few hours.

If you find other errors int he documentation, please open Jira issues. It's
even better if you can propose a patch :)

Regards,

Hervé