Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk> on 1999/11/30 10:52:02 UTC

Windup!

This really irritates me (have I mentioned this before? Never mind):

A test compilation with your Makefile configuration failed. This is most
likely because your C compiler is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C
Compiler, such as gcc. The above error message from your compiler will
also
provide a clue.
Aborting!

What a pity there is no "above error message", eh?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
http://www.apache-ssl.org/ben.html

     - Indira Gandhi

Re: Windup!

Posted by Sascha Schumann <sa...@schumann.cx>.
On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 09:52:02AM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> This really irritates me (have I mentioned this before? Never mind):
>
> A test compilation with your Makefile configuration failed. This is most
> likely because your C compiler is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C
> Compiler, such as gcc. The above error message from your compiler will
> also
> provide a clue.
> Aborting!
>
> What a pity there is no "above error message", eh?

    Users often report only this standard message. Needless to
    say that it does not help. IMO the failed command should be
    displayed including the error messages it produced. That
    would ease tracking down software configuration failures.

                            Sascha Schumann
                                 Consultant

Re: Windup!

Posted by ra...@apache.org.
> This really irritates me (have I mentioned this before? Never mind):
>
> A test compilation with your Makefile configuration failed. This is most
> likely because your C compiler is not ANSI. Apache requires an ANSI C
> Compiler, such as gcc. The above error message from your compiler will
> also
> provide a clue.
> Aborting!
>
> What a pity there is no "above error message", eh?

I fixed this already in CVS.  Try it again with the current code.

-Rasmus