Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com> on 2009/12/22 16:43:45 UTC

Release numbering suggestion

We currently have a problem distinguishing between the qpid release
numbering for actual releases and release branches and code development
on trunk.

For example before starting the 0.6 release the label 0.5 was ambiguous
- it referred both to the development code on the and the code in the
0.5 release. By that I mean that the code on trunk thought it was 0.5
too and reported that.

I propose that we change the trunk numbering to 0.7 at the point we
branch 0.6 for release.

Then I propose that we change the numbering to 0.8 when we start the
next release process.

Then we would change trunk numbering to 0.9 when branching the next
release etc.

The advantage of this scheme is that it is immediately obvious whether a
given release is development or a released release (odd numbers are dev,
even are release). It also means that the numbering is never shared
between trunk and a branch.

Minor disadvantage: Our releases skip from 0.6 to 0.8 to 0.10 etc.

Comments?

[unless I hear heated opposition by the actual point of release, I will
do this]

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: Release numbering suggestion

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Alan Conway wrote:
> On 12/22/2009 10:43 AM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
>> We currently have a problem distinguishing between the qpid release
>> numbering for actual releases and release branches and code development
>> on trunk.
>>
>> For example before starting the 0.6 release the label 0.5 was ambiguous
>> - it referred both to the development code on the and the code in the
>> 0.5 release. By that I mean that the code on trunk thought it was 0.5
>> too and reported that.
>>
>> I propose that we change the trunk numbering to 0.7 at the point we
>> branch 0.6 for release.
>>
>> Then I propose that we change the numbering to 0.8 when we start the
>> next release process.
>>
>> Then we would change trunk numbering to 0.9 when branching the next
>> release etc.
>
> How about we change the number to 0.7 when we branch 0.6, and leave it
> 0.7 when we release 0.7. There's no ambiguity: 0.7 refers to the code
> that will someday be release 0.7 up to the day it actually becomes 0.7.

This would remove the ambiguity and we should make sure to do this at a
minimum.

>> The advantage of this scheme is that it is immediately obvious whether a
>> given release is development or a released release (odd numbers are dev,
>> even are release). It also means that the numbering is never shared
>> between trunk and a branch.
>
> What's the purpose of a separate version number for in between releases?
>
>> Minor disadvantage: Our releases skip from 0.6 to 0.8 to 0.10 etc.
>>
>> Comments?
>>
>> [unless I hear heated opposition by the actual point of release, I will
>> do this]
>>

> Not heated opposition, I'm just not understanding the benefits.

The benefit is being able to easily distinguish between a random
development version of the code that is in-between releases and a
version of the code that is in close proximity to a release (either just
before a release or just after).

Basically we can choose to bump version numbers just before releases,
just after releases, or both.

I think at a minimum we need to always bump just after releases. Other
than that I'm fairly relaxed, although I can see the appeal of bumping
both before and after.

--Rafael

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.
On 12/22/2009 12:06 PM, Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 11:37 -0500, Alan Conway wrote:
>> How about we change the number to 0.7 when we branch 0.6, and leave it 0.7 when
>> we release 0.7. There's no ambiguity: 0.7 refers to the code that will someday
>> be release 0.7 up to the day it actually becomes 0.7.
>
> I could certainly accept that. What I think is wrong is leaving the
> trunk with the old release number until starting the next release
> process.
>

>>> The advantage of this scheme is that it is immediately obvious whether a
>>> given release is development or a released release (odd numbers are dev,
>>> even are release). It also means that the numbering is never shared
>>> between trunk and a branch.
>>
>> What's the purpose of a separate version number for in between releases?
>
> Well partly it's precisely because it allow you to tell at a glance
> whether a bug report is against a released version of qpid or against a
> devel version of qpid.
>
> I think the major advantage of distinguishing between release/dev
> versions is in bug reporting and scheduling bug fixes.
>
> I have to say that I think these are enough to make me want to do it,
> but not enough that I'm totally attached to the even-odd thing.
>
> Another point is that a number of other projects do distinguish between
> dev and release versions using precisely this model - it's not a proof
> that it's any good for us, but an indication that it's useful for them.

OK, sounds reasonable. No objection from me.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Another point is that a number of other projects do distinguish between
> dev and release versions using precisely this model - it's not a proof
> that it's any good for us, but an indication that it's useful for them.

Yeah, it's really quite handy. I'd be +1 for this, especially if we
moved to full APR/Linux kernel style major.minor.micro

- Aidan

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.
On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 14:38 -0500, Steve Huston wrote:
> But what's a dev "version"? The only time you can really have a
> meaningful "version" is when it's tagged and set aside. Dev stuff is a
> moving target. Any given number assigned to "dev" today is not the same
> as tomorrow's.

The meaningful version comment is true as far as full release version is
concerned, but in that case it is a shorthand for a specific subversion
commit. However it is certainly meaningful to use the first 2 numbers to
indicate which line of development is being run.

> What does it mean to schedule a fix for "dev"?

On the whole all bug fixes should be fixed in dev releases. The only
ones fixed in releases are ones that are fixed during the release
process itself, or are fixed on the release branch.

I would say though that distinguishing dev versions from release version
is more important for us in bug triage to figure what code a bug
reporter is running. It is true that svn revision would also do, but
it's not as descriptive.

Andrew

Posted by Nuno Santos <ns...@redhat.com>.
On 12/22/2009 04:12 PM, Steve Huston wrote:
>> From: Aidan Skinner [mailto:aidan.skinner@gmail.com]
>> We could stick the svn rev as the micro version for
>> development builds.
>>
>> 0.7.8234324 is a bit ugly but gets the point across.
>
> I agree on both points.
> Is that what users want/need?

FWIW, that's the numbering scheme I've been using when building the
qpidc packages for Fedora (which have usually been built off of trunk,
not necessarily off of a released branch). I agree that although
verbose, it gives plenty of useful information at a glance.

Nuno

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Robert Godfrey wrote:
> 2009/12/22 Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>
>
>> Steve Huston wrote:

This is actually what I meant. I agree we don't want svn revs in non
development release builds.

--Rafael

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
Ah, should have thought of that one...although 2.6 is all ive ever
used hehe, which is probably why it didnt click ;p

Git is awesome isnt it :)

Robbie

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I can definitely agree with all of that. Still think it looks goofy skipping
minors though ;)

I don't particularly like that if someone goes off and does their own
release off trunk based on our trunk version (eg Fedora) they will thus have
a higher (if odd looking thanks to SVN rev) release version number than we
do (to those users not looking at the repo, just the downloads). Though I
guess it would mean we wouldnt get users of said releases coming to our user
list like presently saying they were using '0.5' when in fact they aren't
really. Also seems like it will make for confusion/annoyance if we ever
wanted to do our own 0.X.Y release since trunk would already have gone up to
0.<X+1>.<rev>...though I guess branches and merges solve that one easily
enough.

OK I have apparently talked myself around. Other than thinking it looks
goofy I don't have any objections of substance ;-)

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robert Godfrey <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
Ok, I get it now, and I agree. Thanks.

-Steve

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Posted by "Riggs, Rob" <Ro...@epsilon.com>.

Rob

This e-mail and files transmitted with it are confidential, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom this e-mail is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you are not one of the named recipient(s) or otherwise have reason to believe that you received this message in error, please immediately notify sender by e-mail, and destroy the original message. Thank You.

Posted by Aidan Skinner <ai...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajith Attapattu <ra...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 3:03 PM, Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com> wrote:
> [...]

I think Rafi's suggestion of having a svn rev attached to the version
could potentially solve this issue.

Btw  +1 for Andrews suggestion.

>> Then when we next release we make it 0.8.
>>
>> Thus moving forward all dev code will have odd numbers, and
>> releases will be even 0.6 0.8 0.10 / 1.0 etc.
>
>> Carl.

> Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Rajith Attapattu
Red Hat
http://rajith.2rlabs.com/

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Steve Huston <sh...@riverace.com>.
> On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 11:37 -0500, Alan Conway wrote:
> > How about we change the number to 0.7 when we branch 0.6,
> and leave it
> > 0.7 when
> > we release 0.7. There's no ambiguity: 0.7 refers to the
> code that will someday
> > be release 0.7 up to the day it actually becomes 0.7.
>
> I could certainly accept that. What I think is wrong is
> leaving the trunk with the old release number until starting
> the next release process.

I agree with that, because it is then hard to tell if you're looking at
the release or something later in the dev stream.

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Alan Conway <ac...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I didn't mean X as a character, just any number...eg 0.6.1, 0.6.9. Something to distinguish from the release without burning up minor version numbers.

I think most of our releases incorporate enough change to deserve a minor version bump, and I like them being consecutive....something about 0.6, 0.8 just doesn't sit right with me, but burning micro's is fine...yes its oddball of me ;)

Robbie

Posted by Andrew Stitcher <as...@redhat.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rafael Schloming <ra...@redhat.com>.
Andrew Stitcher wrote:
> We currently have a problem distinguishing between the qpid release
> numbering for actual releases and release branches and code development
> on trunk.
>
> For example before starting the 0.6 release the label 0.5 was ambiguous
> - it referred both to the development code on the and the code in the
> 0.5 release. By that I mean that the code on trunk thought it was 0.5
> too and reported that.
>
> I propose that we change the trunk numbering to 0.7 at the point we
> branch 0.6 for release.
>
> Then I propose that we change the numbering to 0.8 when we start the
> next release process.
>
> Then we would change trunk numbering to 0.9 when branching the next
> release etc.
>
> The advantage of this scheme is that it is immediately obvious whether a
> given release is development or a released release (odd numbers are dev,
> even are release). It also means that the numbering is never shared
> between trunk and a branch.
>
> Minor disadvantage: Our releases skip from 0.6 to 0.8 to 0.10 etc.
>
> Comments?
>
> [unless I hear heated opposition by the actual point of release, I will
> do this]

This makes sense to me. It occurs to me that "dev" versions of all our
software should probably also include the svn revision number when
reporting their version info, but even just having the even/odd
distinction would be useful.

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org