Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com> on 2001/01/30 12:20:56 UTC

Filter Chains slow first time it is called

Subject says it all really.

The first time a filter chain is executed for a servlet, it takes about 30
seconds for the response to get back to the client.

This doesn't happen everytime but enough to be repeatable.

I'm using Beta 1. I've set the app to be reloadable (with a reload time of
3) and I'm logging to the console if that helps,

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com

RE: Filter Chains slow first time it is called

Posted by Kevin Jones <ke...@develop.com>.
I've just taken a closer look at this, it's a browser problem.

IE 5.5 has really trouble with content types. Even though I'm setting the
type to text/html (in a filter) but at some point I've used IE 5.5 to get
the data without the filter. The servlet returns text/xml. It seems that
IE5.5 is struggling to reconcile this (that's all I can think of).

Netscape has no problems (for once :-) ),

Kevin Jones
DevelopMentor
www.develop.com

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Kevin Jones wrote:

> Subject says it all really.
>
> The first time a filter chain is executed for a servlet, it takes about 30
> seconds for the response to get back to the client.

It would be surprising if this is related to initializing the filter chain --
after all, the chain is constructed for every single request (not just the
first one).  Are you sure there isn't anything application specific that takes
a long time to initialize?

> This doesn't happen everytime but enough to be repeatable.
>
> I'm using Beta 1. I've set the app to be reloadable (with a reload time of
> 3) and I'm logging to the console if that helps,

Logs and a test case (even if it doesn't repeat evey single time) would be
quite useful in investigating this.

> Kevin Jones
> DevelopMentor
> www.develop.com