Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Vincent Demay <vi...@demay-fr.net> on 2008/02/16 17:04:31 UTC

Are you interrested in an OpenSocial feature using xhr?

Hi all

I'm currently writing a feature (based on container-sample) implementing
openSocial API querying data from a new Servlet responding json to xhr
request instead of using a static XML file.

It will probably be the base for our openSocial compliance on our
project (http://www.goojet.com).

It's currently hable to manage people and friends API and Persistence
Data Api but not yet activities.

For now it is just a very begginning but, if you are interrested in a
such stuff (feature + servlet with a mock giving data), just let me
know, because we are ready to share it to shindig and to take into
account your remarks ;).

Cheers,

PS : Of course if you are developing a such feature I'm very interrested
in, and I will be happy to contribute.

--
Vincent Demay

Re: Are you interrested in an OpenSocial feature using xhr?

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
I agree, Dan. The gadget server itself can be in Java, but since the
majority of web sites out there don't run Java, it's probably in the
project's best interest to have code for binding to it in languages people
actually do write websites in (PHP, Python, Ruby, etc.) This was my main
motivation for starting work on the RpcServlet. Personally, I hate writing
websites in Java, and I'm sure many other people do as well. It's fine for
replacing a lot of things that you might otherwise use C for (like a high
performance RPC back end that mostly deals with data processing ;-)), but
it's a poor alternative to Ruby, Python, or PHP when it comes to the web.

I'd really like to see if we could pull together a single implementation of
the opensocial javascript so that the server components can simply
standardize on an RPC mechanism. This would eliminate the burdeon of every
container writer having to re-implement their own javascript container, and
allow <Require feature="opensocial-0.7"/> to work "out of the box".

Re: changing gadget display size

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
Currently height / width aren't propagated up the stack to the rendering
surface because the sample pages don't actually parse the spec. Now that we
have the RpcServlet, though, we can probably go ahead and add this in.

In the meanwhile, you'd have to use the "dynamic-height" feature to make
this work.

Posted by Vincent Demay <vi...@demay-fr.net>.
Hi,

Le 18 févr. 08 à 11:25, Dan Lester a écrit :

> Regarding batch request to server vs multiple concurrent XHR calls:
>
> In theory, the single batch request could have its individual items
> carried out simultaneously (in separate threads) by the server once it
> has received the batch.
>
> In practice for PHP, this is unlikely to happen - but it seems wrong
> simulate threading in PHP by initialising concurrent threads from the
> Javascript client!
>
> The API reference says the server has the freedom to carry out the
> requests in any order (or concurrently) provided it will not affect
> the
> results (compared to running them strictly in order).
>
> Thinking about it, the concurrent XHR request system is dangerous.
> Imagine the client submits two requests in one batch: first request to
> update one person's app data, and second request to fetch the app
> data.
> If the second request happens to arrive first (or even if the first
> request just happens to take a long time to perform), the fetch will
> return different results.

It is a really good point!
Does it mean that udpate should always be run "before" fetch  if they
are in the same batch?
In that case a single request should be much better.

> Kevin - agreed that we need to standardise the internal Javascript and
> message format. In fact, I've been saying that ideally the Javascript
> would talk back to the server in the same 'language' as the Data
> APIs...
> That might be running ahead of ourselves for now, though.

A servlet responding exactly same object as Data APIs language is a
really good idea and an easier way to develop it.
Is there any progress on your develpment about this servlet?

I would like to work on that soon, so it should be fine if we can
define the request format and especially POST paramter(s) :
maybe something like
	requestType = param1/value1/param2/value2...
so request will look like
	.../respond?viewerFriends=first/0/max/20&people=ids/
foo,bar&personAppData=ids/foo,bar/keys/count
It is just a proposal, WDYT?

cheers

--
Vincent

Posted by Dan Lester <da...@danlester.com>.
Regarding batch request to server vs multiple concurrent XHR calls:

In theory, the single batch request could have its individual items
carried out simultaneously (in separate threads) by the server once it
has received the batch.

In practice for PHP, this is unlikely to happen - but it seems wrong to

Posted by Vincent Demay <vi...@demay-fr.net>.

Posted by Vincent Demay <vi...@demay-fr.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Cassie <do...@google.com>.