Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com> on 2007/05/29 23:31:08 UTC

[users@httpd] mod_security and system load

I'm running FC6 and added mod_security using the default rule set and
the load level on the system is about 5 times higher than without it.
I'm wondering what rule sets I might disable that would give me some
security without slowing the server down to a crawl. Could use some
practical advice.

Thanks in Advance.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_security and system load

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

Nick Kew wrote:

> On 29 May 2007, at 22:31, Marc Perkel wrote:
>
>> I'm running FC6 and added mod_security using the default rule set and
>> the load level on the system is about 5 times higher than without it.
>> I'm wondering what rule sets I might disable that would give me some
>> security without slowing the server down to a crawl. Could use some
>> practical advice.
>
> What are you protecting?  A jump that big suggests the possibility
> that your
> contents may be predominantly static.  In which case, turn
> mod_security off!
>
> The really big performance hit with mod_security is if you scan request
> and/or response bodies with it.  And I can't see how you could
> usefully apply
> any default ruleset to that.

Probably people with older versions of php/mysql apps like phpbb that
are exploitable. Mostly protecting against request/post expliots rather
than filtering outgoing content.

Re: [users@httpd] mod_security and system load

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

--