Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2012/11/30 23:27:41 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1414683

On Thu, 2012-11-29 at 21:02 +0000, sebb wrote:
> On 28 November 2012 13:47,  <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> > Author: olegk
> > Date: Wed Nov 28 13:47:28 2012
> > New Revision: 1414683

> > Log:
> > Had to make ClientExecChain and related classes public in order to make them accessible by the caching module
>
> If the classes are not intended to be part of the public API, this
> should at least be indicated in the Javadoc.
>
> Perhaps consider a rename to make it more obvious?

Hi Sebastian

The new APIs are still far from being final. With the latest changes I
am trying to reduce the public API footprint and ideally I would like to
keep ClientExecChain and related classes package private. However, I am
not sure it is possible since those APIs need to be accessible by the
caching module and potentially JMX module. We could theoretically
document those APIs as being internal, but then, again, we would end up
in a similar situation as with deprecated code. Would we really want to
change them and risk breaking existing applications that might rely on
them despite the warning in javadocs?

Oleg

Re: svn commit: r1414683

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2012-12-01 at 16:56 -0500, Gary Gregory wrote:
> How about using a .internal package?
>
> Gary

Sounds very reasonable if we decide to take the approach proposed by
Sebastian. There is still time to consider various options before the
4.3 API is frozen.

Oleg

Re: svn commit: r1414683

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.