Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net> on 2006/10/19 10:07:25 UTC

DCC worth it?

Contemplating adding DCC to my SA config.

I already do the SURBL tests and Razor2.
Will I likely gain any thing via this?  Does DCC catch what other
tests miss?

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: DCC worth it?

Posted by Bill <ad...@vci.net>.
    My statistics look like this. This is from one lower volume server and
is only since logs rotated at 4am Sunday morning.

    DCC - 38,521  (DCC_CHECK)
    Razor - 52,596  (RAZOR2_CHECK)
    Pyzor - 11,201  (PYZOR_CHECK)

    And for the heck of it:
    DIGEST_MULTIPLE   38,562

      Bill

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <g....@libero.it>.
> I use DCC, Razor and Pyzor.

It is quite like my conf.

> I only installed Pyzor because I
> thought the
> more opinions I get on an email the better. By using all 3 I get more spam
> emails rejected than if I just use DCC and Razor. It helps raise the score
> of the spam emails.

I have pyzor too, but I'm not shure it is actually working: I don't get anymore a PYZOR_something tag in suspicious e-mails. This started happening a couple of weeks ago. Also, anonymous reporting to pyzor seems simply ineffective to me.

What's your feedback about this?

>       Bill

giampaolo

Re: DCC worth it?

Posted by John Andersen <js...@pen.homeip.net>.
On Thursday 19 October 2006 01:01, Leander Koornneef wrote:
> . Giampaolo's comments are
> also valid: if they both
> hit, you get higher scores, which may just be enough to push a spam
> above your required_score.

Ah, well then that's not an issue for me.

If razor-50-100 hits its already spam as far as I'm concerned.

The vary nature of razor says that particular body has been seen
a large number of times already by a wide range of people.

Defacto spam for my purposes.

--
_____________________________________
John Andersen

Re: DCC worth it?

Posted by Leander Koornneef <l....@ic-s.nl>.
In my experience (which is not statistically comfirmed), Razor
catches more spam than DCC.
Usually if DCC hits, then Razor will probably also hit. This is not
true the other way around:
if Razor hits, DCC regularly doesn't hit. Giampaolo's comments are
also valid: if they both
hit, you get higher scores, which may just be enough to push a spam
above your required_score.

Leander

--
Leander Koornneef

IC&S B.V.
l.koornneef@ic-s.nl
http://www.ic-s.nl

IC&S biedt Service & Support, Development en Consultancy op
uiteenlopende
internet-gerelateerde platformen, met een voorliefde voor Open Source.

Let op: mijn emailadres is gewijzigd naar: l.koornneef@ic-s.nl

Re: DCC worth it?

Posted by Shane Williams <sh...@shanew.net>.
Based on how far their mailing lists go back, Razor and DCC have been
around since the 2000/2001 time period, and as far as I can tell were
independent projects.

In fact, they're based on different goals/models, which is why it's
useful to use both of them.  Razor is interested in specifically
identifying spam, so it provides a way to both report and revoke
emails (technically hashes of emails).  DCC determines how bulky or
massive a bulk or mass mail is, not how spammy it is, which is why
whitelisting is so important in DCC (

Perhaps you were thinking of Pyzor, which did come about because of
Razor's semi-closed source nature?

(and yes, I know all about top-posting being a no-no, but there was no
obvious place to jump in to the following thread, and yet it seemed
important for context)

http://pgp.mit.edu/                |      System Admin - UT iSchool
All syllogisms contain three lines |              shanew@shanew.net
Therefore this is not a syllogism  | www.ischool.utexas.edu/~shanew

Re: DCC worth it?

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.

Re: DCC worth it?

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Jo Rhett wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
>> Contemplating adding DCC to my SA config.
>> I already do the SURBL tests and Razor2.
>> Will I likely gain any thing via this?  Does DCC catch what other
>> tests miss?
>
> DCC and Razor are very similar in approach.  DCC has recently lost a
> lot of community support due to policy decisions made by the guy who
> runs it,
Which policy change is that? And what community has DCC lost support in?

SA had to make DCC disabled by default due to licensing changes, but
that's not exactly recent. (Spring 2005)

I'd also not call that a "policy decision", as that implies it was made
by choice to suit his policy desires. DCC's technology base turned out
to be patented by a company that clearly invented it first (patent filed
Jan of 1999). DCC's policies changed to avoid Vernon being sued into the
ground.

And let's face it, the changes aren't really particularly egregious, and
I've not seen anything resembling "loss of community support" for DCC as
a result.

> which is pretty much why Razor sprang into existence.
Your facts are pretty far off here.

Razor did not "spring into existence" in reaction to DCC policy
changes.  In fact, Razor slightly pre-dates DCC. Razor was first created
by Vipul in 1999, with it's first public release on of 0.24  May 22,
2000. DCC started in 2000 and did not enter production use until winter
of 2000.

Also, Razor support has been in SpamAssassin longer than DCC has.
SpamAssassin 1.0 was released in September of 2001 and supported Razor
(v1). It did not support DCC.

> We have them in parallel on one of our work systems, and I can't say
> that DCC is better than Razor.  It catches some that Razor misses, but
> Razor seems to catch more than DCC misses. 95% of the time they are
> identical in result.
I find they have quite different coverage. Particularly since razor
added e8.

That said, I've got a lot of problems with DCC false-positives on
mass-volume mail, and I've not been able to make dcc whitelists work
properly under my copy of SA.

R: DCC worth it?

Posted by Giampaolo Tomassoni <g....@libero.it>.
> John Andersen wrote:
> > Contemplating adding DCC to my SA config.
> >
> > I already do the SURBL tests and Razor2.
> > Will I likely gain any thing via this?  Does DCC catch what other
> > tests miss?
>
> DCC and Razor are very similar in approach.  DCC has recently lost a lot
> of community support due to policy decisions made by the guy who runs
> it, which is pretty much why Razor sprang into existence.
>
> We have them in parallel on one of our work systems, and I can't say
> that DCC is better than Razor.  It catches some that Razor misses, but
> Razor seems to catch more than DCC misses. 95% of the time they are
> identical in result.

I think it wouldn't be worth to have only DCC, but it is having both Razor2 and DCC: when both report an e-mail as spam, the minimum score it gets is 4.5 on a standard installation: RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_E8_51_100 + RAZOR2_CHECK + RAZOR2_CF_RANGE_51_100 + DCC_CHECK + DIGEST_MULTIPLE.

giampaolo

Re: DCC worth it?

Posted by Jo Rhett <jr...@netconsonance.com>.

Re: DCC worth it?

Posted by Leander Koornneef <l....@ic-s.nl>.
This seems to extreme to be true. I think you need to fix your DCC
setup :-)

--
Leander Koornneef

IC&S B.V.