Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Brendan Vogt <br...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/20 17:19:50 UTC

Initial Data Loading

Hi,

I am new to this kind of setup.  I am a C# programmer, and I am used to
clicking a couple of times then everything is installed and ready to go.  I
am wanting to try out the OfBiz application.

After hours of trying to get the source code, I managed to download it.  Now
I am following the installation steps as set out in:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setu
p+Guide

I am busy with the section under Initial Data Loading.  I have SQL Server
2005, but want to use Postgres database.  I have it installed as well.  I
have added the JDBC driver .rar in the directory which they said I must.

Question

I must install the data like:

java -jar ofbiz.jar -install -readers=seed

Where do I get ofbiz.jar from?

Question

What is the difference between seed and demo?

Regards,

Brendan

Re: Initial Data Loading

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
under OFBiz Installation
#2 is kind of vauge. Means you have to build from the source code to get
the jars.
Note: reading up on Ant may help.

Brendan Vogt sent the following on 10/20/2007 8:19 AM:

Re: Initial Data Loading

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
De : "Raj Saini" <ra...@gmail.com>
> I don't think you would say this if you have used Ubuntu. And if you
> install 7.10, you can also have all eye candy things you see in Vista of
> course without degrading the performance.
>
> Eclipse runs best on Ubuntu.

That's so true ! And I think the disk system is for something in it.

I use Windows only because I have a lot of tools and habits there. But I use also Ubuntu from time to time and I really like it.
When it comes to ressources, Linux is far better, no doubt !

Jacques

Re: Initial Data Loading

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.

RE: Initial Data Loading

Posted by "skip@theDevers" <sk...@thedevers.org>.
Jacques

Re: Initial Data Loading

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Brendan is on Windows...

Jacques

De : "Case Torres" <Ca...@casetorrestech.com>

Re: Initial Data Loading

Posted by Scott Gray <le...@gmail.com>.
The point was that you don't need to download ant separately, it comes bundled

Scott

RE: Initial Data Loading

RE: Initial Data Loading

RE: Initial Data Loading

Posted by "skip@theDevers" <sk...@thedevers.org>.
Brendon

Recommend that you do not initially to run-install-seed.  Also recommend
that you do not use postgres initially.

Start like this:

1.  Download the svn into a directory.

2.  Install java and ant and make sure you JAVA_HOME and ANT_HOME set up
correctly.  Sounds like you are using windows, so go to the control panel,
and add system environmental variables to reflect the install locations.

3.  Run ant run-install
	This installs some demo data you can play with.

4.  startofbiz (it's a batch file)

You can then connect to http:\\localhost:8080\webtools\control\main

Then, after you have your feet wet and are ready to load your own data into
it,

1.  ant clean-all

2.  ant run-install-seed
	This just loads the required seed data with no demo stuff in it.
	You can then use Access or whatever to populate the database
	with your data.

You might want to set up postgres before importing your live data.

Note that ant clean-all does not clean out external databases.  You have to
drop the database and then recreate it to start from scratch.

Cheers

Skip