Posted to dev@jspwiki.apache.org by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com> on 2010/02/04 20:43:08 UTC

Seeking Alpha

Hi everybody,

If you've been paying close attention to my recent commits --- and I
*know* you have :) --- you know that I've been putting a lot of energy
around re-working the JSPs. As of last night's checkins, I feel that
most of the goals I set for the 3.0 view layer have been achieved.
Scriptlet code has been moved into the ActionBeans, markup has been
"modernized" with JSTL, and the top-level JSPs have been folded into
the template JSPs. The net result is a set of JSPs that are slimmer,
simpler and better organized. A few stray bugs (notably: JavaScript
and a few URLBinding issues) remain, but the hard work is done.

It is time to turn our sights towards getting an Alpha build out the
door. Here are the current blockers as listed in JIRA:

1. JSPWIKI-303 JSPWiki-API library creation.
2. JSPWIKI-421 JCR backend
3. JSPWIKI-382 Remove posteditor.js

We should make some decisions soon about whether these are really
blockers or not, and figure out what we need to do to close them if
they are.

I'd also propose solving three more issues before we can declare Alpha:

4. Clean unit tests. We still have about 30 renaming, ReferenceManager
and related plugin tests that are failing. I *think* they might be
related to a recent Priha vintage. The build should run clean before
we release an Alpha.

5. URLConstructors. With the physical top-level JSPs gone, we now rely
on Stripes URLBindings to map incoming *.jsp resquests to ActionBean
event. We should do the same for outgoing URL **generation** by making
StripesURLConstructor the default. While we're at it, we should kill
the other URLConstructors, because FileBasedActionResolver will allow
URLBindings to be externally defined. For backwards compatibility,
ShortUrlRedirectFilter allows legacy short URLs to be safely
intercepted and redirected.

6. Refactor WikiBackgroundThread abstract class as JMX timer MBeans.
This would eliminate our somewhat unreliable timer implementation.
Today, background threads don't kill themselves reliably. I take full
responsibility for this, but I also can't fix it easily, and would
rather do it through JMX.

I can do 5 and 6 fairly quickly if we agree to do them.

Are these good priorities for Alpha? What else are we missing?

Andrew

Re: Seeking Alpha

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.
Murray, I'll try using the 1.2 implementations. Shouldn't be too hard;
a jar swap or two and some URI twiddling. :)

Re: Seeking Alpha

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.

Re: Seeking Alpha

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Seeking Alpha

Posted by Murray Altheim <mu...@altheim.com>.

Re: Seeking Alpha

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.
Dirk,

The culprit on the double-submit Javascript issues appears to be with
the snip-editor. If you use a non-existent textarea variable name in
line 61 in jspwiki-edit.js (part of var WikEdit), for example:

		var txta = $('wikiTexts'),

...then the problem goes away. This is blunt fix, not a permanent one.

I suspect the root cause is this section, which comes later in the file:

				.addEvent('change', self.onChangeTXTA.bind( self ) );
				// Make sure to catch ALL {{change}} events, and copy the
				// content of txta back to the main textarea.
				// This includes the ''last'' change event, just before firing
				// the submit event of the form.

But I am not a JavaScript guru, and don't know how to really fix this.
If/when you get your webapp running, this is probably what needs
fixing.

In the meantime, I'll upload the temporary fix later today. (I'll also
do a little light housecleaning, such removal of the sneak-preview JS
code, which is made redundant with the new Strips preview AJAX calls.)

Andrew

Re: Seeking Alpha

Posted by Andrew Jaquith <an...@gmail.com>.

Re: Seeking Alpha