Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by "Al-Dhahir, Haitham" <Ha...@gs.com> on 2002/10/04 13:53:08 UTC

Extended Unicode Characters

Hi all,

Does FOP provide support for extended Latin Uncode characters like the
Icelandic ð (#00F0) or Í (#00CD)? My initial testing suggests that it does
not, for example I have inserted &#x00F0; into my XML, and in the PDF
output, instead of ð I just get &#x00F0;. Any ideas on this?

Thanks,

Haitham.

Re: Extended Unicode Characters

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Oleg Tkachenko wrote:
> Your said you got &#x00F0; in pdf, that looks like some problem with
> escaping in xslt, chances are you are using disable-output-escaping,
> aren't you?

I guess it comes as a string from a DB. D-o-e wouldn't
work unless the transformation result was serialized.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Extended Unicode Characters

Posted by Oleg Tkachenko <ol...@multiconn.com>.
Al-Dhahir, Haitham wrote:

> Does FOP provide support for extended Latin Uncode characters like the
> Icelandic ð (#00F0) or Í (#00CD)? My initial testing suggests that it does
> not, for example I have inserted &#x00F0; into my XML, and in the PDF
> output, instead of ð I just get &#x00F0;. Any ideas on this?

fop supports every character xml and java support, but it's user
responsibility to provide appropriate font, which contains a glyph for
the character. Those ones doesn't look like troublemakers, for me they
work like a charm even with default Times New Roman (from Win xp) font:
<fo:block>My chars are &#x00F0; and &#x00CD;</fo:block>
and result (fop-0.20.5cvs) is
My chars are ð and Í

--
Oleg Tkachenko