Posted to community@apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2009/07/07 23:28:13 UTC

[VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Hi,

This mailing list is currently publicly archived, but only open for
Apache committers to subscribe and post to. This list policy was set
by a vote [1] in 2002. I would like to change this list to be open to
everyone just like all our public project mailing lists.

Why? Three reasons: a) the extra moderation settings make it hard for
people to post here [2,3], b) external mail archives can't easily get
updates of recent posts [4], and c) I see no reason to restrict the
Apache "community" to include just the committers. This list is today
very different from what it was in 2002.

So, please vote on changing the settings of this list so that everyone
is free to subscribe or post to this list (only posts from
non-subscribers are moderated, see [5] for details). This majority
vote is open for the next seven days.

    [ ] +1 Change list settings (allow anyone to subscribe or post)
    [ ] -1 Keep the current settings

My vote is +1.

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-community/200211.mbox/<3D...@apache.org>
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-community/200905.mbox/<51...@mail.gmail.com>
[3] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-community/200907.mbox/<51...@mail.gmail.com>
[4] http://apache.markmail.org/search/?q=list:org.apache.community

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <tv...@apache.org>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
>     [X] +1 Change list settings (allow anyone to subscribe or post)
>     [ ] -1 Keep the current settings

Bye, Thomas.

Re: [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by peter royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Jul 7, 2009, at 5:28 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>    [ ] +1 Change list settings (allow anyone to subscribe or post)
>    [ ] -1 Keep the current settings

+1

-pete

Re: [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by "Jean T. Anderson" <jt...@apache.org>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
>     [x] +1 Change list settings (allow anyone to subscribe or post)

 -jean

Re: [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>    [X ] +1 Change list settings (allow anyone to subscribe or post)

-Bertrand

Re: [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 07/07/2009 11:28 PM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
>      [X] +1 Change list settings (allow anyone to subscribe or post)

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

Re: [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
+1

On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 7:43 AM, Mario Ivankovits<ma...@ops.co.at> wrote:
> +1

Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf

AW: [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>.
+1

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <rd...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
On Jul 8, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 5:57 PM, Craig L
> Russell<Cr...@sun.com> wrote:
>> What's your plan to avoid spam?
>
> Same as what we use on all our public project mailing lists: Posts
> from non-subscribers still need to pass moderation. I volunteer as a
> moderator.

Ok.

+1

Craig

> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

Craig L Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Jukka,

I agree that community@ should be for the community not just for
committers.

But without moderating the list, it will become a target for spam.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

-- dims

Posted by Santiago Gala <sg...@apache.org>.
El mié, 08-07-2009 a las 10:54 +0200, Jukka Zitting escribió:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Justin Erenkrantz<ju...@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
> > The ASF does not have public lists that are not backed by either a PMC
> > or a committee.
> >
> > As long as the subscription and posting was restricted to committers,
> > then the list did not require active oversight.  Yet, once a list
> > becomes open for all to join and post, then it requires active
> > oversight in the form of a backing PMC or committee.
>
> OK. Assuming this vote passes, I'll ask either Infra or PRC to take up
> oversight of this list. I'll also volunteer to act as the eyes and
> ears of that committee on this list if needed.

+1 on the list being "standard" and

+1 on the PRC having oversight on the community@ list. I volunteer as
moderator too.

I prefer PRC having a role in a community list to infra, as infra is
more into technical infrastructure and has already a couple lists, while
PRC has only public "entries", but no public fori for community
questions. It should help the community flavour of PRC, other than press
and sponsorship "flavours" of it :)

Regards
Santiago, hoping that this email will pass through...

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>    [ ] +1 Change list settings (allow anyone to subscribe or post)
>    [X] -1 Keep the current settings

The ASF does not have public lists that are not backed by either a PMC
or a committee.

As long as the subscription and posting was restricted to committers,
then the list did not require active oversight.  Yet, once a list
becomes open for all to join and post, then it requires active
oversight in the form of a backing PMC or committee.

Cheers.  -- justin

Re: [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>    [X] +1 Change list settings (allow anyone to subscribe or post)

/niklas

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 12:26 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There seems to be lazy consensus from PRC (judged by who responded on
> prc@), but I'll confirm that before getting the list settings changed.
> If PRC doesn't want to do this, then I'll ask infra or as a last
> resort turn to the board.

This list is now open to everyone with Infra as the overseeing body.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

[responding a bit late as I'm currently on vacation and mostly offline]

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
-1 from me for the simple reason that you failed (as far as I can tell) to
get the PRC to approve your volunteering of that committee for the new
oversight arrangement.

We cannot just volunteer other PMCs; they have to agree.  And we cannot
declare a matter closed when the newly responsible entity has not agreed to
take that responsibility.

+1 once there IS an oversight arrangment in accordance with ASF
requirements.

	--- Noel

[RESULT] [VOTE] Change community@ list settings

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So, please vote on changing the settings of this list so that everyone
> is free to subscribe or post to this list (only posts from
> non-subscribers are moderated, see [5] for details). This majority
> vote is open for the next seven days.

We have 16 +1s:

    +1 Bertrand Delacretaz
    +1 Craig L Russell
    +1 Davanum Srinivas
    +1 Jean T. Anderson
    +1 Jean-Frederic Clere
    +1 John H. Embretsen
    +1 Jukka Zitting
    +1 Mario Ivankovits
    +1 Mat Hogstrom
    +1 Matthias Wessendorf
    +1 Niclas Gustavsson
    +1 Niclas Hedhman
    +1 Peter Royal
    +1 Robert Burrell Donkin
    +1 Santiago Gala
    +1 Thomas Vandahl

And one -1:

    -1 Justin Erenkrantz

Justin had a valid point about this list having no active oversight by
a PMC or another committee. Based on the vote result I will ask the

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by "John H. Embretsen" <jo...@apache.org>.

--
John