Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> on 2015/12/28 15:26:54 UTC

Proposal: deprecate Thrift now and remove support in 4.0

Thrift has been officially frozen for almost two years and unofficially for
longer. [1]  Meanwhile, maintaining Thrift support through changes like
8099 has been a substantial investment.

I propose deprecating Thrift now and removing support in 4.0, i.e. Nov 2016
if tick-tock goes as planned.

I note that only 7% of our survey respondents [2] are using Thrift-only,
and and those users are often on old releases (1.1 and 1.2), i.e. unlikely
to upgrade to 4.x anyway.

Another 20% of users are using a mix of Thrift and CQL.  Some have been
unable to completely migrate because CQL doesn’t quite provide every
feature from Thrift.  The last such outstanding issue is mixing static and
dynamic Thrift “columns” in a single table.  We have an issue open to
address this [3].

I think it is reasonable to either deprecate Thrift immediately in 3.2 or
to wait until 10857 is committed in 3.4.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/cassandra-dev/201403.mbox/%3CCALdd-zim6kNmR7f_zcPVPqk0B2G919tTTATHiUofNvLZTAwm7A@mail.gmail.com%3E

[2]
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FegCArZgj2DNAjNkcXi1n2Y1Kfvf6cdZedkMPYQdvC0/edit#gid=0

[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-10857

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: Proposal: deprecate Thrift now and remove support in 4.0

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1. It's finally time.

Posted by Benjamin Lerer <be...@datastax.com>.
+1

Posted by Josh McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Gary Dusbabek <gd...@gmail.com>.
Super belated +1. It's time.

Gary.

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
I've updated NEWS for 3.2 with a deprecation announcement.  I've also sent
an announcement to the users list.

Posted by Colin Clark <co...@clark.ws>.
+1
--
Colin
+1 612 723 2501

Posted by Robert Stupp <sn...@snazy.de>.
+1

--
Robert Stupp
@snazy

Posted by Tyler Hobbs <ty...@datastax.com>.
+1

--
Tyler Hobbs
DataStax <http://datastax.com/>

Re: Proposal: deprecate Thrift now and remove support in 4.0

Posted by Khai Le <kh...@icloud.com>.

Posted by Ryan Svihla <rs...@foundev.pro>.
+1

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@jonhaddad.com>.