Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Robert Hume <rh...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/21 20:41:39 UTC

[newbie] questions about 3.6.0 and 4.x or 5.x ?

Hello, I'm hoping to get some quick advice from the Solr gurus out there ...

I’ve inherited a project that uses a Solr 3.6.0 deployment.   (Several
masters and several slaves – I think there are 6 Solr instances in total.)

I’ve been tasked with investigating if upgrading our 3.6.0 deployment will
improve performance – there’s a lot of data and things are getting slow,
apparently.

I’ve read Apache docs that from 3.6.x to 4.x there were improvements in
scalability and performance.

I see that from 4.x to 5.x that Solr is now a standable server and no
longer just a WAR running on Tomcat.

QUESTIONS:

A. Is it worth upgrading to 4.x or 5.x?  Will I see a big improvement in
performance?

B. Should I got to 4.x or 5.x?  Will 4.x be an easier upgrade path since
it's just a new WAR file?

C. In a nutshell ... what will the upgrade path look like, what kind of
steps am I in for, and how can I avoid trouble?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!

Rob

Re: [newbie] questions about 3.6.0 and 4.x or 5.x ?

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
To chime in, in certain cases the memory requirements for 4x (and 5x) are _much_
improved, see: https://lucidworks.com/blog/2012/04/06/memory-comparisons-between-solr-3x-and-trunk/

But as Shawn says, it's not a magic bullet.

Solr 5 requires Java 7, so that's one thing to be aware of. Plus, you
either have to upgrade
your indexes to 4.x, then install/upgrade to 5x or if you want to jump
straight from
3x to 5x, you need to re-index from scratch; Solr 5x will not read an
index created with
Solr 3x.

And rather than have a master/slave setup you'll probably want to
migrate to SolrCloud
as well, it's much easier to create/manage a cluster with shards with SolrCloud.

Best,
Erick

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.