Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Jeff Wong <je...@savagebeast.com> on 2004/03/11 02:34:05 UTC

1.3-final builds as 1.4-rc1-dev?

Hello,

I noticed that Lucene 1.3-final source builds a JAR file whose version
number is "1.4-rc1-dev".  What does this mean?  Will 1.4-final build as
"1.5-rc1-dev"?

Just Curious,

Jeff

Re: 1.3-final builds as 1.4-rc1-dev?

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
It means we screwed up the timing somehow and changed the build file
version after we built the binary version, is my guess.

We'll be more careful with the 1.4 release and make sure this doesn't
happen then.

	Erik

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Mar 10, 2004, at 9:45 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:
> Jeff Wong wrote:
>> I noticed that Lucene 1.3-final source builds a JAR file whose version
>> number is "1.4-rc1-dev".  What does this mean?  Will 1.4-final build
>> as
>> "1.5-rc1-dev"?
>
> Probably.  If you modify the sources of a 1.3-final release, and build
> them, you're not building 1.3-final, but a derivative.  We could call
> it 1.3-dev or something, but that would be strange, as 1.3 development
> is closed.  All development is now towards 1.4-based releases.  As a
> side-effect, even if you make no changes to the 1.3-final sources and
> build them, it builds as 1.4-rc1-dev.  I think that is still safer
> than calling it 1.3-final, since 1.3-final should be reserved for the
> exact jar file downloaded from Apache.  In general, anything ending
> with -dev doesn't have any guarantees, and the version before that is
> only meant to be suggestive.

Ah... this seems perfectly reasonable!  And I concur.... if its not the
exact JAR then it shouldn't have the "final" stamp of approval.

	Erik

Re: 1.3-final builds as 1.4-rc1-dev?

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Jeff Wong wrote:
> I noticed that Lucene 1.3-final source builds a JAR file whose version
> number is "1.4-rc1-dev".  What does this mean?  Will 1.4-final build as
> "1.5-rc1-dev"?

Probably.  If you modify the sources of a 1.3-final release, and build
them, you're not building 1.3-final, but a derivative.  We could call it
1.3-dev or something, but that would be strange, as 1.3 development is
closed.  All development is now towards 1.4-based releases.  As a
side-effect, even if you make no changes to the 1.3-final sources and
build them, it builds as 1.4-rc1-dev.  I think that is still safer than
calling it 1.3-final, since 1.3-final should be reserved for the exact
jar file downloaded from Apache.  In general, anything ending with -dev
doesn't have any guarantees, and the version before that is only meant
to be suggestive.

Doug