Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by ROGER DEBRY <DE...@uvsc.edu> on 2006/11/01 16:20:33 UTC

[users@httpd] Strange problem with permissions

I have just recently installed Apache 2.2.2. All seems to work just
fine.

However, today I downloaded a package that requires a number of files
be installed in my web directory. When I try to access these files from
a browser, I get an error message that I don't have permission to access
the files.

I have an html file that I created sitting right next to the one in
question in my web directory. It has exactly the same permissions and
ownership. I can access this file from the browser but not the one I
downloaded.

Stranger yet, I loaded the downloaded file into a text editor and saved
it with a different name. The file did not change. I can access this new
file just fine.

Can anyone give me an idea of what is going on?

Many Thanks....

Re: [users@httpd] Strange problem with permissions

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 11/1/06, ROGER DEBRY <DE...@uvsc.edu> wrote:
> I have just recently installed Apache 2.2.2. All seems to work just
> fine.
>
> However, today I downloaded a package that requires a number of files
> be installed in my web directory. When I try to access these files from
> a browser, I get an error message that I don't have permission to access
> the files.
>
> I have an html file that I created sitting right next to the one in
> question in my web directory. It has exactly the same permissions and
> ownership. I can access this file from the browser but not the one I
> downloaded.
>
> Stranger yet, I loaded the downloaded file into a text editor and saved
> it with a different name. The file did not change. I can access this new
> file just fine.
>
> Can anyone give me an idea of what is going on?

Start by looking in the apache error log.

Joshua.