Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> on 2020/06/02 14:39:02 UTC

repo build vs build-nozip

Greetings,

I often debug against the repo, after having done "ant build". A few
weeks ago, I started running against the repo for regular work. I
noticed that I was getting frequent low memory messages and there seemed
to be considerably more clutter in messages.log. Then I started running
on beta4 and those issues seemed to go away.

The differences could be changing usage patterns.

Could build vs build-nozip contribute to differences? Are there
configuration differences between the two?

Are there configuration differences between early beta and release?

I'm pretty sure some exception dialogs don't show up in the release that
I see when running out of the repo. That's probably at least partly
because exceptions are not enabled in release and
NotifyExcPanel.shallNotify takes note of that.

-ernie

Re: repo build vs build-nozip

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 at 15:39, Ernie Rael <er...@raelity.com> wrote:
> Could build vs build-nozip contribute to differences? Are there
> configuration differences between the two?
>
> Are there configuration differences between early beta and release?

There should only really be configuration differences between release
branch builds and everything else (master, etc.).  Mainly console
logging and assertions (as I think you meant).

Might be worth looking at (if you haven't already) this, which
configures things -

https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/nbbuild/antsrc/org/netbeans/nbbuild/ReleaseJsonProperties.java

Differences between build and build-nozip should be minimal.  On the
other hand, method of launching might be more of a cause of
difference?  eg. are you using bin/netbeans in both cases or
(indirectly or not) via ant tryme?
https://github.com/apache/netbeans/blob/master/nbbuild/build.xml#L1184

Best wishes,

Neil