Posted to user@poi.apache.org by "Thouin, Alexandre" <Al...@CMCElectronics.ca> on 2011/07/07 17:09:28 UTC

Shared workbook support for XLS documents

Hi all,

First, I just want to thank you for giving us the opportunity to work
with XLS files from Java. This is great!

So the question, I'm trying to modify a shared XLS file with POI but it
does not work as expected. Instead of "participating" to the shared
workbook, it overwrites the file (overwriting changes from other people)
when I'm saving the XLS file from Java. Is there a way to "push" the
modified data and then participate to the shared workbook?

Thanks!

Alexandre

RE: Shared workbook support for XLS documents

Posted by "Thouin, Alexandre" <Al...@CMCElectronics.ca>.
Thanks for trick but it won't work since it's not an NFS volume (I tried
it anyway to double check).

I will just be careful and double check so I don't screw the data...

Thanks!
Alexandre

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
POI works with the file in Java without any concern for issues like Microsoft Sharing which is really beyond the scope of the project.

Here are a couple of ideas:

If you can segregate the part you want POI to update as another workbook and have the shared user maintained part separate. Try having that use a formula to pull from the POI maintained workbook. That way refresh calculations in the Shared book will pull your changes.