Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anjan Bacchu <an...@gmail.com> on 2012/05/31 15:26:05 UTC

Fix for java.lang.VerifyError in tomcat 7.0.19 all the way thru tomcat 7.0.27!!

Hi all,

  I've been a tomcat user for about 10 years -- starting with 3.x. So
thanks the user and dev community for all the help.

I recently tried moving our appserver from 5.5 to 7. as soon as I deployed
our webapp to tomcat 7.0.27 and tried the app, I got a
java.lang.VerifyError.
down below is the stack Trace. this happens after I have entered the
credentials to the login page and POSTing it to another jsp (ChLogin.jsp).

I noticed that this error doesn't happen in tomcat 7.0.16 but happens in
tomcat 7.0.19 and all the way to 7.0.27.

Should I stay back with tomcat 7.0.16 OR can tomcat dev fix the bug so we
get the latest /nicest version ?

P.S : I downloaded the tar.gz version of tomcat and deployed it on RHEL 5.3
on tomcat 1.6.0_26 all thru 1.6.0_31.

Thank you very much,

BR,
~A

javax.servlet.ServletException: java.lang.VerifyError: (class:
org/apache/jsp/ChLogin_jsp, method: _jspService signature:
(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse;)V)
Inconsistent stack height 0 != 1

	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:342)
	javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:722)
	web.AuthFilter.doFiltering(AuthFilter.java:74)
	web.AuthFilter.doFilter(AuthFilter.java:58)

*root cause*

java.lang.VerifyError: (class: org/apache/jsp/ChLogin_jsp, method:
_jspService signature:
(Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletRequest;Ljavax/servlet/http/HttpServletResponse;)V)
Inconsistent stack height 0 != 1
	java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
	java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:2389)
	java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2699)
	java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:326)
	java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.getServlet(JspServletWrapper.java:172)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:370)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.serviceJspFile(JspServlet.java:389)
	org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServlet.service(JspServlet.java:333)

Re: Fix for java.lang.VerifyError in tomcat 7.0.19 all the way thru tomcat 7.0.27!!

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

On 01/06/2012 03:38, Anjan Bacchu wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Thank you.
>
> Do you/they need any additional info to help fix the bug ?

The following are required to confirm exactly where the bug is:
- - The JSP the causes the problem
- - The .java file (in CATALINA_BASE/work) generated from the JSP
- - The .class file (also in CATALINA_BASE/work) generated from the
.java file

Please open a BZ entry and attach all three files.

Mark

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Fix for java.lang.VerifyError in tomcat 7.0.19 all the way thru tomcat 7.0.27!!

Posted by Anjan Bacchu <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Konstatin,

  Thanks very much for the quick response.

  ChLogin.jsp : It is our own code -- mostly does some simple java
scriptlet which do jsp:forwarding to other JSPs. -- about 150 lines of code.
No, we don't precompile the JSPs.
We deployed other apps to this same tomcat and they work just fine.
example webapps : didn't try them yet.
I replaced the eclipse compiler in tomcat 7.0.27 with the eclipse compiler
from tomcat 7.0.16 and the application has started working just fine!!

do you suggest that the tomcat developers be told about this bug so they
revert to the older version of the eclipse compiler ?

Do you suggest that the Eclipse compiler developers be told about this bug
so they can fix it in the next release ?

Thank you very much,

BR,
~A
BR,