Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org> on 2011/08/24 13:33:12 UTC

Mitigation Range header (Was: DoS with mod_deflate & range requests)

Folks,

This issue is now active in the wild. So some unified/simple comms is needed.

What is the wisdom on mitigation advise/briefing until a proper fix it out - in order of ease:

->	Where possible - disable mod_deflate

	=> we sure this covers all cases - or this is a good stopgap ?

->	Where possible - set LimitRequestFieldSize to a small value

	->	Suggesting of 128 fine ?

->	Where this is not possible (e.g. long cookies, auth headers of serious size) consider using
	mod_rewrite to not accept more than a few commas

	=>	anyone a config snipped for this ?

->	Perhaps a stop gap module

	http://people.apache.org/~dirkx/mod_rangecnt.c (is this kosher??)

->	Apply patch XXX from the mailing list

Any thoughts ? Followed by a - upgrade as soon as a release is made

Thanks,

Dw

RE: Mitigation Range header

Posted by "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ru...@vodafone.com>.

________________________________

Posted by Greg Ames <am...@gmail.com>.

RE: Mitigation Range header

Posted by "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ru...@vodafone.com>.

________________________________

	From: Greg Ames Sent: Mittwoch, 24. August 2011 16:05
	To: dev@httpd.apache.org

	On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 9:01 AM, "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ru...@vodafone.com> wrote:

		> Hmm - when I remove mod_deflate (i.e. explicitly as it is the
		> default in all our installs) and test on a / entry which is a
		> static file which is large (100k)* - then I cannot get apache
		> on its knees on a freebsd machine - saturating the 1Gbit
		> connection it has (Note: the attack machines *are* getting
		> saturated).  The moment i put in mod_deflate, mod_external
		> filter, etc - it is much easier to get deplete enough
		> resources to notice.
		>
		> Dw.
		>
		> *: as I cannot reproduce the issue with very small index.html files.

		Have you tried if the same happens with mod_deflate, but with one of the
		the proposed mitigations in place?
		As said my guess is that this might be an issue with mod_deflate that
		is unrelated to the Range request issue.

	I think mod_deflate is just the tool to convert an O(N^2) data size problem into an O(N^2) CPU usage problem, where N is some function of LimitRequestLine.  If the file size is smaller than the largest range end used in the attack, it may reduce the amount of data actually going down the filter chain.

	Greg

	I don't think so. The compression happens before the byterange filter and the byterange filter just hacks the already compressed brigade into more buckets and rearranges them.
	mod_deflate does not do more work if it is a range request. It does the same amount of work as for the non range request.

	Regards

	Rüdiger

Re: Mitigation Range header

Posted by Greg Ames <am...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mitigation Range header

Posted by Dirk-WIllem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On 24 Aug 2011, at 14:01, Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group wrote:

> Have you tried if the same happens with mod_deflate, but with one of the
> the proposed mitigations in place?

As soon as I reject/block on the range header - all is fine again.

> As said my guess is that this might be an issue with mod_deflate that
> is unrelated to the Range request issue.

Good point.

Dw

RE: Mitigation Range header

Posted by "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ru...@vodafone.com>.

Re: Mitigation Range header

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@bfk.de>.
* Dirk-WIllem van Gulik:

> On 24 Aug 2011, at 13:43, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> * Dirk-WIllem van Gulik:
>>
>>> Hmm - when I remove mod_deflate (i.e. explicitly as it is the default
>>> in all our installs) and test on a / entry which is a static file
>>> which is large (100k)* - then I cannot get apache on its knees on a
>>> freebsd machine - saturating the 1Gbit connection it has (Note: the
>>> attack machines *are* getting saturated).  The moment i put in
>>> mod_deflate, mod_external filter, etc - it is much easier to get
>>> deplete enough resources to notice.
>>
>> Oh.  Have you checked memory usage on the server?
>
> I had not - and you are right - quite high. I also tried it on a
> Ubuntu machine - and that one dies right out of the gate - regardless
> as to wether deflate is on- or off.

It seems that this reflects different approaches to memory
overcommitment.  I didn't see any crashes with vm.overcommit_memory=2 on
Linux, either.  I wouldn't mention this in the advisory, though, because
even if no critical process is terminated due to the out-of-memory
condition, thrashing could still push the system beyond the point of
recovery.

Including the increased memory usage in the adviosry, as a potential
attack indicator, would make sense, IMHO.

--
Florian Weimer                <fw...@bfk.de>
D-76133 Karlsruhe             fax: +49-721-96201-99

Re: Mitigation Range header

Posted by Dirk-WIllem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On 24 Aug 2011, at 13:43, Florian Weimer wrote:

> * Dirk-WIllem van Gulik:
>
>> Hmm - when I remove mod_deflate (i.e. explicitly as it is the default
>> in all our installs) and test on a / entry which is a static file
>> which is large (100k)* - then I cannot get apache on its knees on a
>> freebsd machine - saturating the 1Gbit connection it has (Note: the
>> attack machines *are* getting saturated).  The moment i put in
>> mod_deflate, mod_external filter, etc - it is much easier to get
>> deplete enough resources to notice.
>
> Oh.  Have you checked memory usage on the server?

I had not - and you are right - quite high. I also tried it on a Ubuntu machine - and that one dies right out of the gate - regardless as to wether deflate is on- or off.

So I guess this is somewhat OS specific - but indeed - not overly deflate specific. Deflate just does something.

Ok - let me rewrite advisory draft !

Dw

Re: Mitigation Range header

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@bfk.de>.
* Dirk-WIllem van Gulik:

Re: Mitigation Range header

Posted by Dirk-WIllem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Re: Mitigation Range header

Posted by Florian Weimer <fw...@bfk.de>.
* Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group:

RE: Mitigation Range header (Was: DoS with mod_deflate & range requests)

Posted by "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ru...@vodafone.com>.

Damn it. Got me again. How about this:

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

covener@gmail.com

RE: Mitigation Range header (Was: DoS with mod_deflate & range requests)

Posted by "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ru...@vodafone.com>.

As said it has IMHO nothing to do with mod_deflate. It is an issue of the byte range filter.

> But your regex matches when there's just a couple of ranges -- maybe
> {4} and no $?

Of course it should have been:

RewriteCond %{HTTP:range} !^bytes=[^,]+(,[^,]+){0,4}$
RewriteRule .* - [F]

As said untested. Thanks for remote eyes.

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: Mitigation Range header (Was: DoS with mod_deflate & range requests)

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ru...@vodafone.com>.

Hm, weird. I would guess that mod_deflate could even mitigate this attack as the byterange
filter only does something if it sees the whole response in the brigade the first time it
is called. Having mod_deflate compressing larger chunks of data causes the byterange filter
to be called multiple times with only parts of the response in the brigade.
So the byte range filter should only be applied with responses whose compressed response
fits into the zlibs output filter.
Depending on the size of the input and the number of parallel requests it might be possible
that a lot of memory is consumed by mod_deflate anyway. But I would expect the same behviour
without range requests as well.

> And it seems a bit more potent when there is other 'keep in
> the air' modules around.
>
> So I guess mod_deflate is right now the largest 'plug' we
> have in the server which can cause this backup ?
>
> Or is that totally wrong. Happy to stand correctede !
>

> >> ->	Where possible - set LimitRequestFieldSize to a small value
> >>
> >> 	->	Suggesting of 128 fine ?
> >>
> >> ->	Where this is not possible (e.g. long cookies, auth
> >> headers of serious size) consider using
> >> 	mod_rewrite to not accept more than a few commas
> >>
> >> 	=>	anyone a config snipped for this ?
> >
> > How about the following (untested) rewrite rule. It should
> only allow 5
> > ranges at max.
> >
> > RewriteCond %{HTTP:range} ^bytes=[^,]+(,[^,]+){0,4}$
> > RewriteRule .* - [F]
>

> Sounds like a plan ! This mail crossed one I just sent out -
> lemme update that too.

Please see my response to Eric. He detected an error in the above.

Regards

Rüdiger

Re: Mitigation Range header (Was: DoS with mod_deflate & range requests)

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Posted by "Plüm, Rüdiger, VF-Group" <ru...@vodafone.com>.