Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Andre Parodi <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/01 16:48:49 UTC

Re: Solr Profiling

I guess it could be many things.

Typically an easy one to spot is if you have insufficient heap (i.e.
your 16Gb) and the jvm is full gc'ing constantly and not freeing up any
memory and using lots of cpu. This would make solr slow and "hangs up"
as well during potentially long gc pauses.

add: -XX:+PrintGCDetails -verbose:gc -Xloggc:/var/log/solr-verbose-gc.log

I configure this on all my java apps just in case. You will easily spot
any gc problems by looking at the verbose log file.

I you are filling the heap and need to find out what is using up all the
space the you can take a heap dump with jmap
-dump:format=b,file=heap.bin <pid>. I usually use eclipse memory
analyser (mat) to inspect the heap. I have found a lucene field cache to
be a big memory hog.

good luck
andre