Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/18 17:01:44 UTC

Getting Started (Was Re: [DISCUSS - NuttX Workflow])

On 12/18/2019 10:47 AM, Nathan Hartman wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 11:04 AM David Sidrane <da...@apache.org> wrote:
>> What about the people who are just learning Nuttx? Simple is relative.
> We never had a Getting Started guide. We need one. And because it's so
> hard for someone "in the know" not to assume knowledge, we may need
> the help of some total n00bs to get this guide written -- to see where
> they get stuck and waste time looking for answers, and write those
> things in the guide. But that's a subject for another thread.

There is this: http://www.nuttx.org/doku.php?id=wiki:getting-started
where the "external tutorials" is quite extensive:
http://www.nuttx.org/doku.php?id=wiki:getting-started:external-tutorials

Re: nuttx.events

Posted by Flavio Junqueira <fp...@apache.org>.
Hi Greg,

It is ok to discuss separately the organization of events, they don't need to happen on the project mailing lists. If the event is open to the community with an open call for abstracts, then you might want to announce it on the user/dev lists. Some communities do not like it, though. If there is a company backing such an event, people could complain that it is not a neutral event and as such should not be advertised on the Apache lists.

As a sample point, I have never organized events using the Apache lists or any other channels, but we have announced project meetups to let people sign up to attend and present.

-Flavio

Re: nuttx.events

Posted by "张铎 (Duo Zhang)" <pa...@gmail.com>.
For HBaseCon, usually the discussion will first be made in the private
mailing list, to get enough PMC members support, and then you can post it
in the public mailing list to get the PC members for reviewing and
accepting the submissions, and also a PMC member must send an email to the
trademarks mailing list to acquire the permission to use the trademarks for
'Apache NuttX', on the materials for this event. The website is fine,
usually it will be hosted by the company which hosts the event.

Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> 于2019年12月19日周四 上午5:35写道:

Re: nuttx.events

nuttx.events

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
[...]

RE: Getting Started (Was Re: [DISCUSS - NuttX Workflow])

Posted by di...@gmail.com.
My current state is that the outline is formed and that the filling per "chapter" is on its way and that the purpose of the book is set. Its public is also for people who come across Nuttx for the first time and do not have seen movies or other tutorials from Nuttx and did not have the privilege to meet all of you as I have.  Say like people who start with a platform like Arduino. So there is a global introduction to all the aspects which I already mentioned: Architecture, Concepts, etc...

Also, the outline base is on real use cases, and the book will take you through hands-on situations. So you do not only read about the Architecture of Nuttx, but also you are taken on a journey by really make things happen. It also concerns setting up a development process (IDE, debugging, etc.). Arduino has its IDE. I am writing all the examples in Visual Studio Code and here I have to get the debugging solid. In Eclipse, it looks more advanced. And using a Segger is also an option, but OpenOCD is free and open for STM32. So a choice is made here. It has to be around for many years and not have a Vendor Lock-in.

But before I can write out the use cases, I have to do them myself so I know all the written use cases and code tested thoroughly. There is nothing more killing then referring something in a book and it's not working. Also, I had to choose a reference platform for the book on which all the use cases are implemented. Even I do know what an RTOS is and its nota bout hardware... one has to choose a reference platform for the book. And for this, I have chosen the STM32 hardware. I do not have any commitment to a hardware supplier, but one has to make a choice. And STM32 has some good criteria for real beginners... especially in costs vs. functionality.

So I am doing a lot of work daily (next to a job I have to do) to get all the things done. But writing a book has to be fun and a learning experience. I also am in contact with Alan concerning the use cases and testing. And a publisher who has understanding fort he previous matters. Better do things right than in chaos.

If some-one wants an update, I am always willing to share this. I am also very anxious to see the progress on Nuttx and I do not see a roadmap here. My roadmap is clear... but I now have all the links to Nuttx on the bitbucket repo and the BSD platform. So I cannot bring out anything until I know ho wand what and when the Apache release is ready in a state like the previous platform was, where I could commit my patches, which now have a link with this writing process.

Good luck tot he PMC and people who are doing this great job, and I am reading all the emails about status and progress.

Ben

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Abdelatif Guettouche <ab...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Hartman <ha...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregory Nutt <sp...@gmail.com>.
> Boards readme files contain all the information needed to get started
> with a particular board.

Many do.  They all should.  They vary in quality.  Some board README
files have no useful information at all; some have old information.
Some consist of only a few lines, some are thousands of lines.  Some
boards don't any any README files.

The board README files are very helpful.  Even for me.  If I have not
worked with a board for a couple of years, the README file brings me
back up to speed very quickly.

Unfortunately the content is not consistent, controlled, or properly
maintained.

Posted by Abdelatif Guettouche <ab...@gmail.com>.