Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Suresh Anaparti <Su...@shapeblue.com> on 2021/05/11 07:41:43 UTC

[RESULT][VOTE] Renaming default git branch name from 'master' to 'main' and replace offensive words as appropriate for inclusiveness

Hi all,

The vote [1] for renaming default git branch name from 'master' to 'main' and replace offensive words as appropriate for inclusiveness, in the Apache CloudStack project has passed with the following votes:

+1 (PMC / binding)
4 persons (Daan, Gabriel, Rohit, Wei)

+1 (non-binding)
5 persons (David, Rene, Nathan, Hari, Suresh)

+0
1 person (Andrija)

Thank you all for participating. Next steps, I'll close any review feedback on the PRs and get them accepted. Once the PRs are accepted, we can merge them to 'master' (may be after 4.15.1 release) and will request ASF infra (track through new INFRA ticket) to disable pushes to 'master', rename 'master' to 'main and set 'main' as the default branch, for all the CloudStack repos.

[1] https://markmail.org/message/n6sbl3vgm7hy77zj

Regards,
Suresh

Re: [RESULT][VOTE] Renaming default git branch name from 'master' to 'main' and replace offensive words as appropriate for inclusiveness

Posted by Suresh Anaparti <Su...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks Dahn.

So far, no issues with Travis CI, Jenkins. Packaging also seems fine. Smoke tests in progress, not observed any issues with renaming until now. I think, we still have to wait few more weeks (until most of us adapts to default branch 'main') and watch for any issues reported with renaming.

Please let us know if you have noticed any issues.

Regards,
Suresh

On 18/06/21, 1:40 PM, "Daan Hoogland" <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

    thanks Suresh for the hard work,

    Are there any remaining actions or arisen issues on this?

    --
    Daan

Posted by Suresh Anaparti <Su...@shapeblue.com>.
Thanks Dahn.

    --
    Daan

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.

--
Daan

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rich,

not going to argue about what you said, as most of that I agree with - but
for the sake of discussion (which this thread is not a right place, but
perhaps some time again on Apache con, with a beer or tea) - I would like
to understand the part of your response:
***This entire effort, across the entire software industry, is about
creating a place where people feel part of the team, rather than
outsiders***

I'm not sure how my colour, race or sex could let me feel like an outsider
to any project I want to contribute to (due to my personal
preference/color/sex is not emphasized/mentioned in the project)?
If I want to contribute, I will contribute, this is my decision/good will.
Or I can behave childishly like a 3-year kid who feels parents are not
paying enough attention, so he/she/it (I'm being inclusive here, am I not?)
is screaming and seeking attention.

Again, to me (and it seems only to me...I am a weird one, indeed) this is
pure politics - but, of course, I have nothing against choosing the words
more carefully and using more generic/softer/correct terms (as you said
"... is more about choosing the right words/phrases") - but where is the
limit/boundaries when a person can be offended by some words, or feel
excluded? i.e. I can be "offended" or feel "excluded" because our project
uses blue colour... (e.g. I like red). You get my point, I'm sure.

I'm ending my involvement in this email thread, as I have no intention to
"offend" or feel anyone "unwelcome" by my opinions... it's about time to
let the inclusivity bloom since everything has been so "exclusive" for the
last 20 years...

--

Andrija Panić

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@apache.org>.

On 2021/05/24 09:13:45, Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (it's interesting to see that " sanity check " (a very common,
> non-offensive wording used in coding) is considered inappropriate (by
> whatever authority...???)

I don't think that "inappropriate" is really the point here. Rather, the goal is to avoid terms that have other, unrelated meanings, which may have implications for members of your project community. "Sanity" has no actual meaning in software, but it does have a meaning to actual humans in your community who suffer from mental health issues. And in avoiding terms like that, it gives an opportunity to use terms that actually mean something useful. You are not checking the "sanity" of your software, as it has none? What are you checking? Community clearly by choosing words that say what you actually mean. This, in turn, makes it easier for those for whom English is not a first language to understand what is being communicated.

In general, avoiding jargon, colloquialisms, and slang helps expand the number of people who can read your words with clarity and understanding.

> ( also "he/she" is considered "gender" and that also seems
> inappropriate????? - I can't believe this nonsense (otherwise, it may be
> grammatical errors, and yes, those should be corrected)

While you are, of course, welcome to think that this is nonsense, it's meaningful to those individuals in your community who identify as neither "he" nor "she", and feel that they are being excluded by these word choices. Do you want them to feel unwelcome? No, of course you don't. So choosing words that include everyone is good for you, too, because it extends a welcome to a larger contributor community, which, in turn, increases the opportunity for innovation.

Focusing on "offense" and "inappropriate" and so on is only a small part of the story. Rather, a conscious language effort (or "inclusive language," if you prefer) is more about choosing the right words/phrases than about avoiding "bad" ones. This entire effort, across the entire software industry, is about creating a place where people feel part of the team, rather than outsiders. Words matter, and this is just one way to use words to craft such a place.

Posted by Andrija Panic <an...@gmail.com>.
All good Rohit, I get that, inside the code in particular, it should
usually always be "it", simply due to grammar.

I'm waiting for the moment where using "monkey" words and other animals
would be found inappropriate to be used with software (like i.e.
cloudmonkey and many others) due to someone finding that inappropriate ;)

Cheers,

--

Andrija Panić

Posted by Rohit Yadav <ro...@shapeblue.com>.