Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gopi Valleru <go...@gmail.com> on 2010/07/22 23:11:13 UTC

Default JVM argument for tomcat

Hi,

For tomcat, if we dont give any memory args in catalina.sh, then want is the
xms and xmx values. And can we monitor tomcat memory utilization from tomcat
manager(console). If we are not using tomcat console then is there any way
to monitor memory utilization of tomcat instance.

Gopi
Ph: (408) 306-8643

Re: Default JVM argument for tomcat

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Default JVM argument for tomcat

Posted by Gopi Valleru <go...@gmail.com>.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your quick reply.

*>This is entirely up to the JVM, and is not Tomcat-specific. If you don't
specify any memory settings, Tomcat does not add any of its own.*

In a new tomcat domain I haven't added any xms and xmx values. When i went
to the console and i can see "Free memory: 707.71 MB Total memory: 733.18 MB
Max memory: 913.37 MB".and in this instance an application is running.

Now i created a new instance on which no application is running and it has,

Free memory: 897.25 MB Total memory: 985.00 MB Max memory: 985.00 MB

Do you you know the reason why? Is there is any way that we can predict
this.

And for monitoring is there any open source with less memory foot print.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.