Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Wörner Till <Ti...@t-systems.com> on 2002/05/23 20:50:07 UTC

Classpath problems

Hi,

I have big problems with classes I want to access from axis.
I am testing with JRun 3.0 but Tomcat was the same...None of the handlers I have written and none of my web service classes can find the classes sitting under the WEB-INF directory where my web service is running. If the classes lie in the lib directory of the server (note: not in the lib dir of the web app!), I cann access all the classes. But because of access restrictions I do not want to put all my shared classes (shared with another servlet in the same web app) into the servers lib dir.

So, how can I force axis to find my classes beneath the WEB-INF dir???

Thanks,
Till Woerner

--
T-Systems GEI GmbH

Hausanschrift: Eichhornstraße 3, D-10785 Berlin
Postanschrift: D-10875 Berlin
Telefon: +49 (30) 2554 3254
E-Mail: Till.Woerner@t-systems.com

Re: Classpath problems

Posted by Heitzso <he...@bellsouth.net>.
Assuming you're having trouble finding axis classes ...

Try running with jdk 1.4.0 and using
	-Djava.endorsed.dirs=axis/lib
in jdk invocation.  You may not want to do this, but
unfortunately axis is trying to be standards compliant and
hence requires use of javax.blat classes, but those same
classes are blocked by servlet container from being picked
up in WEB-INF/lib.  Rumors are next release of tomcat
may solve this problem someway.  Also possible that
jdk X.X comes with all of the core pieces internally.

If you're having trouble finding regular classes then
you need to spec version of tomcat you tested with.
Current 4.0.3 is servlet spec 2.3 which should honor
WEB-INF/lib jars.  However JRun 3.0 is, I believe,
servlet spec 2.2 which has a different set of rules
for finding classes.

For what it's worth --- avoid servlet spec 2.2
and prior containers like the plague.  2.3 supports
better class loader behavior with webapps.

Heitzso

Re: Classpath problems

Posted by Dan Chisholm <da...@attbi.com>.
Classpath problemsWhich version of Java are you running?  If you are using Java 2 Standard Edition version 1.4 (J2SE v1.4), then you might be having a problem with the endorsed standards override mechanism.  If that's the case, then you could try step 3 of the following modified version of the installation instructions.  However, if you are not using J2SE v1.4, then the problem must be something else.

http://home.attbi.com/~danchisholm/axis/doc/install.html

Dan