Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by david hawcroft <ab...@yahoo.com> on 2002/09/14 17:14:55 UTC

[users@httpd] Seeing Apache on a LAN Client from Outside the LAN

  Hi and thanks for the reply...

 Yes, I can see my page when only connected via the LAN and I use
'localhost' as my URL. But if I use 'jepboro.dns2go.com' as my URL I
cannot see my page.

 If I am connected via the phone everything works fine.

  Obviously there must be some mapping occurring all the time so's
these machines can call for and get back web pages all through the
same pipe. Is that right?

  They are all calling for pages and having their local IP numbers
temporarily swapped for the one and only available 'real' IP number
for this LAN. And when a packet comes back it somehow gets sent to
the right machine and builds the requested web page.

  Why doesn't that mechanism work okay for Apache?

You can see how little I savvy.

  I thought it might be a question we'd all want to know - how do you
see an Apache server on a client in a LAN? A win2000 LAN?  Which bit
of software do you play with? And how? The Lan server config? There's
a config file? I shouldn't ask. Of course there is. There always is.
What's it called and which bit do you play with?

  Apart from not knowing the software involved I guess I'm saying it
confuses me that all the usual traffic gets through to my machine
so's it can browse the web. I'm so bloody ignorant it's annoying. I
guess it's got something to do with traffic aimed at a port, does it?
Apache is 'listening' on one port only, right? My browser is
listening on another - STDIN maybe? Something like that? And whatever
software it is it's filtering according to ports? Could that be it?

 I better shut up, eh?

Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 17:44:15 -0700
To: users@httpd.apache.org
From: "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>
Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Seeing Apache on a LAN Client from Outside

the LAN.

>the exact steps would depend on the specifics of the lan
architecture

Re: [users@httpd] Seeing Apache on a LAN Client from Outside the LAN

Posted by "J. Greenlees" <ja...@shaw.ca>.

david hawcroft wrote:

>   Hi and thanks for the reply...
>
>  Yes, I can see my page when only connected via the LAN and I use
> 'localhost' as my URL. But if I use 'jepboro.dns2go.com' as my URL I
> cannot see my page.

your lan's ip is not the registered ip for the domain name. the isp for the
lan needs to do a dns convergence for that part.

>  If I am connected via the phone everything works fine.
>
>   Obviously there must be some mapping occurring all the time so's
> these machines can call for and get back web pages all through the
> same pipe. Is that right?
>
>   They are all calling for pages and having their local IP numbers
> temporarily swapped for the one and only available 'real' IP number
> for this LAN. And when a packet comes back it somehow gets sent to
> the right machine and builds the requested web page.

the routing ware in the lan server does the directing, it isn't
configured for allowing your apache to act as a server.

>   Why doesn't that mechanism work okay for Apache?
>
> You can see how little I savvy.
>
>   I thought it might be a question we'd all want to know - how do you
> see an Apache server on a client in a LAN? A win2000 LAN?  Which bit
> of software do you play with? And how? The Lan server config? There's
> a config file? I shouldn't ask. Of course there is. There always is.
> What's it called and which bit do you play with?

the lan server needs to have your apache server getting through, right
now it is blocking it. the network admin needs to add to the allowed
routing the domain name and add your domain name's ip number to the
server to listen for.
webservers listen on port 80 by default, if the lan server is also a
webserver then you may have to change your port number in http.conf for
apache also.

there is probably a firewall closing unused ports, would need to open a
port specifically for apache to use.