Posted to dev@synapse.apache.org by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/10 10:19:47 UTC

1.1 planning

Time to make a 1.1 plan.

Plenty of good changes have been made, so I think its time to review
what needs to go into 1.1.

I notice we have made an API change (Ruwan I think added a return
value to injectMessage()). We should either figure out another way of
doing this (property), or bite the bullet and declare 1.1 mediators
incompatible with 1.0.

Personally I can see one good reason to break compatibility --- I
added the PayloadHelper class to Synapse, but I think that function
could be exposed directly in the MessageContext -
e.g.
getPayloadAsDOM() , getPayloadAsText(), etc.

I think that would make writing mediators a lot simpler for 80% of usecases.

What else do we need to think about before we cut a 1.1 release?

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: 1.1 planning

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Paul,

Comments in line,

On 9/10/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Time to make a 1.1 plan.
>
> Plenty of good changes have been made, so I think its time to review
> what needs to go into 1.1.
>
> I notice we have made an API change (Ruwan I think added a return
> value to injectMessage()). We should either figure out another way of
> doing this (property), or bite the bullet and declare 1.1 mediators
> incompatible with 1.0.

I don't think this API change will effect most of the mediators, unless
otherwise a particular mediator digs very deep in to the internals of
Synapse and uses the injectMessage API. (There is no single mediator that is
working in the current head which does not work on 1.0 release)

Personally I can see one good reason to break compatibility --- I
> added the PayloadHelper class to Synapse, but I think that function
> could be exposed directly in the MessageContext -
> e.g.
> getPayloadAsDOM() , getPayloadAsText(), etc.

+1 for this.

I think that would make writing mediators a lot simpler for 80% of usecases.

> What else do we need to think about before we cut a 1.1 release?

I think we need to fix the Security and Reliable Messaging functionality. I
think they were broken on the svn head due to the axis2 1.3 migration. (Need
to wait till Sandesha2 1.3)

Thanks,
Ruwan

Paul

> --
> Paul Fremantle
> OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair
>
> blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
> paul@wso2.com

Ruwan Linton

Re: 1.1 planning

Posted by Ruwan Linton <ru...@gmail.com>.
Ant,

1.0 mediators will not have any problem running on the 1.1 release for
sure....

Thanks,
Ruwan

--