Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Steve973 <st...@gmail.com> on 2021/11/02 20:22:48 UTC

Use of lombok in camel codebase?

Hello.  I normally use lombok to take care of boiler plate code in projects
that I work on.  I have noticed that lombok is not used in the camel code
base.  Is there something about it (licensing or something else) that makes
it unsuitable for camel?  I am working on something in camel-core, and it
would be great to be able to use it to keep things cleaner.  But I would
think that if it was acceptable in an apache project, people would already
be using it.  Does anyone have the details on this?

Thanks,
Steve

Re: Use of lombok in camel codebase?

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
So I wouldn't introduce Lombok Just for readability.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Otavio Rodolfo Piske <an...@gmail.com>.
Personally I am not a fan of Lombok either.

I do recognize there can be some (small) convenience in using it [1].
However, I think it would be better to drive our efforts towards
modernizing the codebase to use features from newer Java versions (*when*
the time comes). Some of these features will, eventually, bring similar
convenience we see in Lombok (i.e.: Java records) at the cost of a smaller
maintenance effort.

1. https://stackoverflow.com/posts/61325018/revisions

--
Otavio R. Piske
http://orpiske.net

Re: Use of lombok in camel codebase?

Posted by Tadayoshi Sato <sa...@gmail.com>.

--
Tadayoshi Sato

Re: Use of lombok in camel codebase?

Posted by Vyacheslav Boyko <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve973 <st...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve973 <st...@gmail.com>.
This all becomes rather moot at the moment when Claus says, "We will not
use Lombok.". It is off the table for camel.  On all of our other
projects,  an examination of benefits and drawbacks of Lombok is a
discussion for that team. Enjoy!

Posted by Otavio Rodolfo Piske <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.