Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net> on 2012/09/04 00:22:08 UTC

OpenOffice unable to restore file or open it

I have a text document that apparently did not close properly when closing
OpenOffice. Starting OpenOffice 3.41 does not trigger the file restoration
process. When I click on the file to open it, OpenOffice crashes because
there is already a shadow file in existance. It begins the file
restoration, but does not recover the shadow file. So I wind up not being
able to do anything. Deleting the shadow file does not work. OpenOffice
cannot open the document, even though it creates a new shadow document.

This is why I never liked this system. I much prefer the system used by my
text editor and the way it was done in the old days. Simply save the file
to disc as a normal file with a .BAK extension every 15 minutes (or
whatever your preference is). That way if the original file is corrupt,
you simply delete the corrupt file, rename the backed up file and you are
good to go. At the most you lose your allotted time of work. And saving
the file manually obviously didn’t make a difference. So forget about any
lectures on how I should manually save my work periodically.

It does not interfere with the undo process. It does not create multiple
files, just the one back up file. A simple text editor is able to do this.
I have never lost a file using this old-fashioned system of automatically
backing up the file. Now I will have to recreate this file from scratch
and from memory.

--
Sincerely,
Rod Lockwood

Re: OpenOffice unable to restore file or open it

Posted by Graham Lauder <g....@gmail.com>.
> It is worse than I suspected. There was no error saving or closing the
> files. OpenOffice is crashing while attempting to open the ODT files. Then
> is unable to recover them. I tried to open two other files in the same
> directory all with the same results. I have a screenshot, if you would
> like me to send it.

Hi Rod,

Were the files saved as ODT? If so have you tried unzipping them?

Cheers
GL

Posted by elderdanlewis <el...@gmail.com>.
Helen wrote:
> Rod, I'm afraid I can't help you but just want to say for the record that
> the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago.
> I have given up trying to recover the files that were open at the time of
> the crash.
> Oh, and I don't see anything wrong with your fonts - your original message
> was easy for me to read.
> I hope this gets solved -- I also prefer the old system, with the automatic
> .bak save.
>

> On Mon, Sep 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM, Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net>wrote:
>
>> **
>> It is worse than I suspected. There was no error saving or closing the
>> files. OpenOffice is crashing while attempting to open the ODT files. Then
>> is unable to recover them. I tried to open two other files in the same
>> directory all with the same results. I have a screenshot, if you would like
>> me to send it.
>>
>> Maurice, I have no idea what you are referring to. This is the same font
>> size I have always used which is set to ‘Normal’. I can read it fine
>> without my glasses, nor is it overly large. You are the first person that
>> has complained.
>>
>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Rod Lockwood
>>

>> On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 19:02:10 -0400, Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Good. Now that 'incubator' has re-sent your note, we can all read it.
>>>
>>> Maurice

      Have either one of you looked at this: Tools -> Options -> Load
and Save -> General? You have a box you can check "Always create a
backup copy". Do you use the AutoRecovery property? If so, how many
minutes between saves? (This may be the shadow file you mentioned.) When
Writer is opened working on a document and you have the AutoRecovery
checked, Writer writes a file to the temporary folder on your hard drive.
      The shortcut to the old fashioned system of automatically backing
up a file: Control+S. You use this key combination "automatically" on a
regular basis.

--Dan

Re: OpenOffice unable to restore file or open it

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 08:05:36 +0100
Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk> wrote:

> On 04/09/2012 00:49, Helen wrote:
> > Rod, I'm afraid I can't help you but just want to say for the record that
> > the same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago.
> > I have given up trying to recover the files that were open at the time of
> > the crash.
> > Oh, and I don't see anything wrong with your fonts - your original message
> > was easy for me to read.
>
> It may depend on your screen or on how your mua is set to display
> messages. TB can show 'simple text' - fine in this case - or as html,
> which is painfully small to read: Not surprising as the OP specifies
> "font-size:10px", ie 10 PIXEL (not point) high letters!!
>

> --
> Mike Scott
> Harlow, Essex, England

If you read emails in plain text the font size is set by your email reader.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: OpenOffice unable to restore file or open it

Posted by Mike Scott <mi...@scottsonline.org.uk>.

Posted by Helen <et...@gmail.com>.

--
Helen Etters
using Linux, suse11.4

Re: OpenOffice unable to restore file or open it

Posted by Rod Lockwood <ro...@provide.net>.

Posted by Maurice Howe <ma...@stny.rr.com>.
[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.

Re: OpenOffice unable to restore file or open it

Posted by Larry Gusaas <la...@gmail.com>.
On 2012-09-03 4:47 PM Maurice Howe wrote:
> Good grief!  Don't use 4 point type for ANYthing!!  You waste your time and
> everybody else's.

What are you talking about? There is no 4 point type in Rod's message. The font in the HTML
version is 10px Verdona. If you have trouble reading it, set you email program to read the
plain text version.

_________________________________

Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan Canada
Website: http://larry-gusaas.com

RE: OpenOffice unable to restore file or open it

Posted by Hagar Delest <ha...@laposte.net>.
I doubt there is a link with the profile since the file strucutre seems to be wrecked.
Rod is not alone, we have several topics about similar cases. Especially the one with the hashes (but slightly different, this last one dealing with power shortage in most cases): http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17677

I honestly think that the save process in AOO is not robust enough for an application that important for users (risk of data loss). I agree that there is no application that don't have bugs but the process of saving a file safely is not that complicated and it had never be a problem with older 2.x versions.
I've never faced myself such bug (on Ubuntu, XP, W2k and Vista with relative intensive use) but of course the backup copy option is activated and I make backups. It may be linked to some corner cases...

Hagar

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Rod,

On Mon, Sep 03, 2012 at 06:22:08PM -0400, Rod Lockwood wrote:
> I have a text document that apparently did not close properly when
> closing OpenOffice. Starting OpenOffice 3.41 does not trigger the
> file restoration process. When I click on the file to open it,
> OpenOffice crashes because there is already a shadow file in
> existance. It begins the file restoration, but does not recover the
> shadow file. So I wind up not being able to do anything. Deleting
> the shadow file does not work. OpenOffice cannot open the document,
> even though it creates a new shadow document.
>
> This is why I never liked this system. I much prefer the system used
> by my text editor and the way it was done in the old days. Simply
> save the file to disc as a normal file with a .BAK extension every
> 15 minutes (or whatever your preference is). That way if the
> original file is corrupt, you simply delete the corrupt file, rename
> the backed up file and you are good to go. At the most you lose your
> allotted time of work. And saving the file manually obviously didn’t
> make a difference. So forget about any lectures on how I should
> manually save my work periodically.
>
> It does not interfere with the undo process. It does not create
> multiple files, just the one back up file. A simple text editor is
> able to do this. I have never lost a file using this old-fashioned
> system of automatically backing up the file. Now I will have to
> recreate this file from scratch and from memory.

This might be a known issue:
http://www.openoffice.org/development/releases/3.4.1.html#AOO3.4.1ReleaseNotes-KnownIssues

Apache OpenOffice 3.4.0 and 3.4.1 manage the user profile differently
than previous versions. The old user profile is automatically converted
so that users can keep their extensions and settings. In a minority of
cases, especially with highly customized profiles (many extensions or
customizations) the conversion doesn't succeed, Common symptoms are.
frequent application crashes, problems with dictionaries or thesaurus,
OpenOffice starting and crashing after a few seconds. To solve this,
just reset/rename your user profile as explained in the official
OpenOffice forum.
http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12426

Regards
--