Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Dmitry Beransky <db...@ucsd.edu> on 2001/12/06 02:11:28 UTC

webapps directory and slide

Couple of days ago I introduced a coworker of mine to Slide.  He got all
excited with the idea to use slide in conjunction with hot deploying
applications under Tomcat 4.0.  Basically, what he wants to be able to do
is at the end building a project with Ant on a development workstation,
have Ant use a webdav client to upload the resulting .war file directly to
the webapps directory.  Good idea, but is it feasible on the server side?

Thanks
Dmitry

Re: webapps directory and slide

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> At 10:11 PM 12/5/2001, you wrote:
> > > Couple of days ago I introduced a coworker of mine to Slide.  He got
all
> > > excited with the idea to use slide in conjunction with hot deploying
> > > applications under Tomcat 4.0.  Basically, what he wants to be able to
do
> > > is at the end building a project with Ant on a development
workstation,
> > > have Ant use a webdav client to upload the resulting .war file
directly to
> > > the webapps directory.  Good idea, but is it feasible on the server
side?

> >Almost. You can't upload the WAR, you'll have to upload the individual
files
> >of the webapp.
>
> Is this because FileContentStore mangles file names?

No, it's just that there's one additional level of in direction. Catalina is
able to read resources which are inside a Slide namespace or a WAR file
(both through a JNDI directory context implementation), but it can't read
resources which are inside a WAR which is inside a Slide namespace.

> What if I were to
> implement my own store that keeps the file names (at least for the most
> recent revision) intact and set the rootpath of contentstore to be the
> webapps directory.  Then if a war file is dropped into webapps via webdav,
> Tomcat should be able to notice the change and deploy it, shouldn't it?

That wasn't the problem here, and that isn't a very useful functionality
IMO, since you could use some kind of remote deployer functionality instead
(TC 4 almost has it, TC 4.1 should have it) to deploy a WAR packaged webapp.
Here, I'd say we would want to make small consecutive updates to a webapp
while it is running on the server.

Remy

Re: webapps directory and slide

Posted by Dmitry Beransky <db...@ucsd.edu>.
At 10:11 PM 12/5/2001, you wrote:
> > Couple of days ago I introduced a coworker of mine to Slide.  He got all
> > excited with the idea to use slide in conjunction with hot deploying
> > applications under Tomcat 4.0.  Basically, what he wants to be able to do
> > is at the end building a project with Ant on a development workstation,
> > have Ant use a webdav client to upload the resulting .war file directly to
> > the webapps directory.  Good idea, but is it feasible on the server side?
>
>Almost. You can't upload the WAR, you'll have to upload the individual files
>of the webapp.

Is this because FileContentStore mangles file names?  What if I were to

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> Couple of days ago I introduced a coworker of mine to Slide.  He got all
> excited with the idea to use slide in conjunction with hot deploying
> applications under Tomcat 4.0.  Basically, what he wants to be able to do
> is at the end building a project with Ant on a development workstation,
> have Ant use a webdav client to upload the resulting .war file directly to
> the webapps directory.  Good idea, but is it feasible on the server side?

Almost. You can't upload the WAR, you'll have to upload the individual files
of the webapp.
I think the easiest would be to use something like TeamDrive to edit the
webapp files.

Remy